last minute tips

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

happymom1

last minute tips

Post by happymom1 »

Hi all. My dd is appearing in 11 plus bham this Sept. She lacks confidence esp crashes if makes a mistake. . I am afraid that she would blackout and won't perform if she would find something very difficult in the exams. Please any tips for last minute prep and how to boost her confidence for exam day.
um

Re: last minute tips

Post by um »

I'd focus on confidence as you mention this as a specific issue which is holding her back.

It is difficult, however to 'last minute' work on a child's confidence.
I find that if they can do something they are good at (not necessarily academic; could be music, sport, art, etc.) this is a good way to give an initial confidence boost, which she seems to need.
I have a small poster which says, 'I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make another!' - yes it is corny but it is a good sentiment. Can you focus on mistakes as valuable learning opportunities, not scary crosses or black marks on a paper?

You also mention that perhaps she panics at new things. Can you try something new with her to build her confidence in dealing with the 'unknown'? Such as cooking something completely new together, or building a flat pack piece of furniture, or a new craft...or exploring a new part of the city?
happymom1

Post by happymom1 »

Thanks a lot um for your awesome advice. Yeah we made cake today and going to explore a park soon. I try not to let her see my own anxiousness too. Ah 12sept and its all over. 8)
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

My advice would be that old nutshell - let them know you're proud of them for trying and that is what really matters.

I told little fish (who took the 11+ in Sept 2013) and plan to tell my small fry (on this year's exam - 12 Sept 2015) that the important thing is that she tries her best. If she doesn't pass at least she'll know she couldn't have done more.

After the fact with little fish (whose birthday is in October) missing out on Camp Hill Girls by a few points really hurt but I reminded her that those with birthdays later in the year who did get in (as one friend did) probably didn't score much higher than she did, but got extra points for each month after September up to their birthday to 'level the playing field'.

It was small concellation at the time - but having gone on to her state secondary to have had an amazingly successful Year 7 academically - she has over time found a lot of comfort in this.