Meningitis W vaccination

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Meningitis W vaccination

Post by scary mum »

Has anyone managed to get this for their offspring? The NHS whips up panic over it & tells all new students they must have it as the strain of meningitis is very virulent, and then runs out of vaccine. None available locally here, NHS or private, and they don't know when it will be available again.
scary mum
tense

Re: Meningitis W vaccination

Post by tense »

Same here. GP surgery advised signing up with a practice at uni & trying to get it there. Although I'm pretty sure that there will be more students in my DD's uni town than there are in our home town!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

tense wrote:Same here. GP surgery advised signing up with a practice at uni & trying to get it there. Although I'm pretty sure that there will be more students in my DD's uni town than there are in our home town!
Exactly. Knowing my DD, it won't be the uppermost thing on her mind anyway. I did point out to the GP that if they had none, couldn't get hold of any, and didn't know when they would be able to, how could they expect the university GPs to provide.
scary mum
mad?

Post by mad? »

DD has had hers. Our GP wrote to her late July saying that she would need it and so she made an appointment for early August with no problem. We are lucky and have a very organised surgery, no doubt if she had only found out with her university welcome pack the vaccine would have been less available.

Maddening for you but I'm sure it will be on her mind when they all get freshers' 'flu :(
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Only those up to a certain birth date have been called, unfortunately, so anyone going to uni at 19 or 20 got missed out.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:Only those up to a certain birth date have been called, unfortunately, so anyone going to uni at 19 or 20 got missed out.
It is also being given to the new year 13s here and being used in the year 10 immunisations.

Our surgery denied all knowledge of it until fairly recently, but DS1 eventually had his yesterday.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I know we were having trouble getting it at the surgery last week but I gather the suppliers are delivering some tomorrow. I agree - it was crazy to advised everyone to have it when the supplies weren't secure.
marigold

Post by marigold »

My DD had hers last week. The nurse is running weekly sessions although I would not in anyway describe our's as an organised practice.
My nephew in Gloucestershire has also been called up for, and had his, he had a gap year and is nearly 20 , so it it sounds as though it is one of those "depends on your practice" type things.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

It depends where you are as to what the epidemic you are faced with.We had calls from our daughter studying down under for a year a couple of weeks back wanting confirmation she had had the measles vaccine.Fortunately she had had it when she was much younger.The importance is in getting the vaccine and I hope everybody's GP gets their supplies.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-24/u ... ad/6721010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm just popping DD on a train to Yorkshire - hopefully she will arrive at Dr Herman's surgery at about the same time as the supplies of vaccine...
scary mum