Numbers sitting at each school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tiomanisland

Numbers sitting at each school

Post by Tiomanisland »

Our STR info letter that we received yesterday says there are 310 approx. sitting at Tommies next Saturday.
Have any other school issued numbers in their letters?
cazien

Re: Numbers sitting at each school

Post by cazien »

We have just received DDs letter from HSFG (postman put it through the letterbox of next door neighbour grr!!!).They state approx. 20 pupils in group and list 15 groups so I guess around 300 DDs.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Article in today's Echo saying 2000 taking in Gloucestershire for more available places. if I'm not wrong DSs letters from Pates and Tommies last year seemed to say that between them there were more than 2000 sat last year just at those two. Hope that's encouraging to this years parents and they all sleep better tomorrow night. I remember the stress :) :D
cazien

Post by cazien »

Local press is reporting the following numbers sitting the test on Saturday:-

2000 for 900 places:-

400 at Pates - 150 places
310 at STR - 120 places
250 at Crypt - 112 places
250 at Marling - 150 places
300 at SHS - 150 places

No numbers at HSFG or Ribston

HSFG letter stated approx. 20 DDs in a group x 15 groups = 300 approx.
So that should leave approx. 200 at Ribston?

HSFG have 128 places.
Ribston have 120 places.

Good luck everyone!
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

That's astonishing. Is this such a low birth year, and if so why have the entrance numbers been expanded? Last year Pates had around 1300 sit there....according to DSs rejection letter. Why are the numbers so much lower this year? Amber, any views?
cazien

Post by cazien »

One post made by crosscountrymum in Oct last year quoted:-

"School census for Gloucestershire May 2014 so last academic year.

Y5 - 6021 - the cohort that received results yesterday.
Y4 - 5986 - will take 11+ Sept 2015
Y3 - 6157 - bigger than this year and it only gets worse!
Obviously out of county students also apply so they will contribute. Wonder how many of the 1300 sharing with Pate's this year were in-county?"

When I read the press report I thought that was low numbers for all schools tbh.

I'm guessing so many people want a GS place, and schools have to deal with large numbers appealing. Getting more finance per head, could lead to increasing PANs, especially if they have classrooms that are not being used every lesson :?: .
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I would imagine that Pates is seeing the effects of Super Saturday or whatever it is called. Of all the schools in Glocs it is probably the only one targeted by countrywide and worldwide sitters. If CEM are using just one set of results then these DC will sit the test at their closest venue or their more favoured schools.
Tiomanisland

Post by Tiomanisland »

I think there is a bit of confusion of numbers sitting at each school and numbers sharing their results at each school.

Our DS sat at Tommies last September (2014). The pre exam info letter said 270 were planning taking there and on the day yes it seemed to be about that number.

The actual number of boys who then shared results with Tommies last year (as per results email received was 776).

So maybe about 1200 shared with Pates but not sat there? No idea on this I am afraid.

Hope that makes sense..

Good luck to all. 2000 applicants seems a lot but there are 900 places across Gos so it's not too bad a chance!
cazien

Post by cazien »

Tiomanisland wrote:I think there is a bit of confusion of numbers sitting at each school and numbers sharing their results at each school.

Our DS sat at Tommies last September (2014). The pre exam info letter said 270 were planning taking there and on the day yes it seemed to be about that number.

The actual number of boys who then shared results with Tommies last year (as per results email received was 776).

So maybe about 1200 shared with Pates but not sat there? No idea on this I am afraid.

Hope that makes sense..

Good luck to all. 2000 applicants seems a lot but there are 900 places across Gos so it's not too bad a chance!
That makes more sense - did wonder how Pates would cope with 1200 children!
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

:oops: apologies to all for the confusion. I should have checked my facts before publishing my comments.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now