Streaming at WHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

abraham

Streaming at WHSB

Post by abraham »

Does anyone know which subjects the boys are set for - and when this happens - at WHSB please? M. thanks :)
ocobrown

Re: Streaming at WHSB

Post by ocobrown »

At SHSB they were put into sets for maths immediately, I recall. They then moved children during the year - up and down - as necessary. They were not streamed for other subjects in year 7.

My DS was put down a set after half a term. This was the best thing that could have happened as the set he was initially in was working at too fast a pace for him and he was not "getting" what was being taught. The new class works at a slower pace, and after changing to this one started to get on much better.

It is really important not to get upset if your DC is not in top set - I know some parents find this difficult to accept. Our experience is that the sets determine the style of teaching and ensure that it is appropriate for that group of kids. As far as we can tell, there is no expectation that the kids in the lower sets will achieve poorer results than those in the top, but their chances are optimised by ensuring that they understand the subject thoroughly.
abraham

Post by abraham »

Thanks - DS1 has just moved up to Yr 8 (WHSB) today. I don't think they were set at all last year in Yr 7 - but I could be wrong! He has come home today thinking they have been set for Science (and possibly for English) but he said they weren't told explicitly that this was the case. Totally take your point RE: not obsessing over it - but still would really like to know where he's at . . . Can't find anything on website (or in parent's handbook about it) and parent's evening for Yr 8 isn't until 2016!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

abraham wrote:Thanks - DS1 has just moved up to Yr 8 (WHSB) today. I don't think they were set at all last year in Yr 7 - but I could be wrong! He has come home today thinking they have been set for Science (and possibly for English) but he said they weren't told explicitly that this was the case. Totally take your point RE: not obsessing over it - but still would really like to know where he's at . . . Can't find anything on website (or in parent's handbook about it) and parent's evening for Yr 8 isn't until 2016!
If you are concerned (or just curious), then perhaps get go touch with your DS's form tutor or the head of year? I think WHSB used to say to write instead of phone or email, but possibly they have moved on into the 21st century by now. With SHSB I have usually been successful sending emails headed 'query for Mr / Ms X' via the general office email address.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
abraham

Post by abraham »

[quote="ToadMum"

If you are concerned (or just curious), then perhaps get go touch with your DS's form tutor or the head of year? I think WHSB used to say to write instead of phone or email, but possibly they have moved on into the 21st century by now. With SHSB I have usually been successful sending emails headed 'query for Mr / Ms X' via the general office email address.[/quote]

Thanks ToadMum. Officially, they tell you to write - unofficially, to give them a call. Which leaves me feeling too formal if I write, and too 'helicopter' if I call . . . :? I will try and pluck up the courage to ask his form tutor (but will probably at least leave it until next week now - in a vain attempt not to appear too OTT about it all . . . :oops: )
Ann221a

Post by Ann221a »

Hi. My son has also just gone into Yr 8 at WHSB. They are set for Maths, Science, Languages and English. I am not sure how many sets there are for each subject, other than English, where apparently there is a Set 1 and then the other classes are equal.
ahap

Post by ahap »

I thought they don't set for Maths in Yrs 7-9 at WHSB, but I may be wrong.
They are split in to 2 bands in yr 10. Maths & Further maths for 96 DC and then 3 classes of maths for I think 58 DC? But don't know how many classes of FM & M are there for the 96 DC or how it is set.
In Year 9, they are split into 2 bands in Science, Y & Z, and within each band there are 3 sets. They are 9ySc1, 9ySc2, 9ySc3, 9zSc1, 9zSc2 and 9zSc3. Is this how it is in yr8 too?
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Ann221a

Post by Ann221a »

Sorry I was wrong about Maths! They are not set for that but are for English, Foreign Languages and Science of which there is Set 1 for English and the rest mixed, and sets 1-3 for Foreign Languages and Science (per band)......or so I have been told!!
abraham

Post by abraham »

Thanks - that all makes sense now. I was a bit confused about the maths, because it does say on the website that they don't set for maths in yrs 7-9 (wasn't sure if it was out of date or not though . . .)

DS1 is in 'Z' band (hope 'Y' and 'Z' don't equate to 'A Team' and 'B Team'! . . .) He thought they had been set for Science & English (but not maths - as he said that some of the maths superstars were in his group, and he couldn't possibly be in a 'set' with them!) He wasn't sure about languages. To be honest, I'm relieved to hear you say that they've been set for languages as well - as I think it will benefit him to be in a lower set for this. He was doing well with Spanish last year, but finding German an absolute nightmare :cry:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now