Maths A Level - statistics or mechanics?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
franticmum

Maths A Level - statistics or mechanics?

Post by franticmum »

We're considering options in relation to sixth form.

I think I've grasped the difference in that statistics is, obviously, data and probability, etc and mechanics is related to physics, ie algebra. Any further info to clarify is appreciated.

However, my question relates to whether one is viewed more highly than the other?

Thanks.
Guest55

Re: Maths A Level - statistics or mechanics?

Post by Guest55 »

I'm not clear why you need to choose.

Most schools do two applied modules S1 and M1 ie both statistics and mechanics.

Some offer a choice of any two from S1, M1 and D1 (D1 is decision and particularly suited to computing).

Which modules are being offered?

Generally I'd suggest mechanics for engineering type degrees and stats for more Arts related - there isn't a heirachy between them.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Hi G55. Thanks for coming back to me - I knew you'd be able to help.

I'm looking at last year's sixth form option booklets at 3 schools, so obviously, things may change this year. However, all three say they do C1-4 and then either S1 and S2 or M1 and M2.

Two do edexcel board, 1 does OCR but the modules are all specified as above. This is excluding further maths which specifies something else entirely.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

That does seem unusual. DS is doing C1-4 S1and M1 for A level. FP1, S2 and D1 for AS further maths.
In your case the choice needs to be based on other subjects / career plans. I had to take pure and mechanics many years ago as I was not allowed to study stats with Physics. However going into an allied medical career, I have to read a lot of research articles so the stats would have been far more useful.
What other subjects is your DC considering?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If you are also taking Further Maths then applied modules can be switched between the two to maximise the separate grades. There are rules on how this can be done but it does give an extra flexibility.

Scheduling S1/S2 or M1/M2 would tend to imply the teachers prefer teaching either Mechanics OR Stats. However, it may be just for convenience of the Further Mathematicians as they can 'make' them take one of these as a Maths option leaving to other to be covered in F Maths ...
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

So if you are not taking further maths, is it okay for the schools to do it this way, ie teach only statistics or mechanics and is one better than the other?

Thanks again.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's usually for timetabling purposes or, as I said, that teachers don't like teaching both mechanics and stats.

Personally, for single maths A level, I think two of S1/M1/D1 is better as they are all AS units - S2 and M2 are harder (A2 units).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now