Head appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
susanass

Head appeal

Post by susanass »

Hi, just wondered if anyone knows how this works exactly. I never did get to speak to our head before we broke up this year so never got to ask in person. When does the head decide they will do a head appeal? Do they just decide based on how the child performed in Year 5 or is it based on the score of the test alone? If the child is only a couple of points out, for example, will the head automatically do a head appeal? Or are there other factors that will come into place? Thank you all.
Eddas

Re: Head appeal

Post by Eddas »

Hi Susanass,

I think it's up to the individual headteacher (happy to be corrected on that!)

They do the HT appeals about 3 weeks from the date you get the results, something like that as the school get the results first, do HT appeals and then finally the results are issued. You won't know if there's a HT appeal unless you ask your HT, if its' sucessful you just get told your child is suitable for Grammar.

From my own experience, my dd's headteacher did an appeal for my dd, in his words, because she got the overall passmark, passed 2 sections and was a few marks off in the 3rd. I know another child had a successful appeal and I don't know her test schools but her levels were generally very good.

My dd's headteacher appeal wasn't sucessful btw, she failed in maths and her maths levels weren't enough to prove the test was a blip. That's basically with the HT appeal is for, those who have failed but should probably have passed but maybe had an off day.

Good luck with it all [smile]
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi, I guess you would get to know when you get the results. We had VR, NVR and Maths. Therefore I would have known if those totals didn't add up to a pass. So, you do get to know, don't you?
Someone did a FOI request asking how many headteacher's appeals there were from schools. I can only see the data for 2012, but it's interesting that in some schools there are lots of appeals and 1 or 2 in others.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... _hta_panel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

Only if you ask for the breakdown of the results Salsa. I know lots of parents who got the pass/fail and didn't ever ask the breakdown!! Madness if you ask me, I was going to ask regardless of the outcome!!
susanass

Post by susanass »

Thanks for replies Salsa and Eddas. So do you know if the head just makes their mind up once they see the results or are they supposed to tell you in year 5. One of my friends in Year 5 asked the head and was told she will appeal for her dc, whereas I never got to ask so am none the wiser!
salsa

Post by salsa »

I think it depends on the head. Ours was new and out of area. He said to me that when he received the results he locked them in a drawer and forgot about them!
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

Last year our HT submitted reviews for those that were out by a few marks or only under in one subject. A few children whom were level 6's and under in all areas were not put forward for review. We know this due to having to appeal, the reviews (where applicable) were included in the appeal paperwork. It really is up to the head if, and how they approach the Head teacher review appeals.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Is your friend's child in the same school as yours? Do you think your child may fail?
Can you have a word with the headteacher? Maybe asking what criteria they would use at the school? I would be surprised if they told you though, as it might set a precedent. I think that if the headteacher thinks that your child would cope well at grammar and they willing to take the time to go through the process, they would appeal. If the headteacher doesn't know or cannot be bothered, then your child is at a disadvantage.
susanass

Post by susanass »

salsa wrote:Is your friend's child in the same school as yours? Do you think your child may fail?
Can you have a word with the headteacher? Maybe asking what criteria they would use at the school? I would be surprised if they told you though, as it might set a precedent. I think that if the headteacher thinks that your child would cope well at grammar and they willing to take the time to go through the process, they would appeal. If the headteacher doesn't know or cannot be bothered, then your child is at a disadvantage.
Hi, I'm hoping my dc won't fail! Just mentally preparing for the worst just in case. My dc is scoring 70-80% in work, on the odd occasion 60% :? (here lies the main worry) but just worried what may happen on the day as I know of a few kids last year who were also doing well and failed on the day due to lack of time or nerves. :( My friend is also a very good friend of the heads :wink: I know that those who asked got an answer either way, but if you didn't ask, it wasn't mentioned, that was pretty much the same for most of the mums in our school.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Those scores should be okay for a pass. I would concentrate on giving child exam technique in the last few days; plenty of rest; at least 10 hours sleep and confidence that he is prepared and will pass. You should try to relax too as children can be sensitive enough to perceive your stress even though you may be saying you are okay. Go through all the exam tips, such as not spending too long on a question; staying focused; breathing deeply to get relaxed and going to the toilet before the test! Good luck to you and your child!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now