The rumour mill

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
thisandthat3

The rumour mill

Post by thisandthat3 »

A few weeks back I was told that a particular child had got into a certain grammar school. The only problem was that it was impossible for her to have taken the test yet. Thought it might provide a little light relief if others felt like sharing their 'favourite' rumours on this thread.
Marylou

Re: The rumour mill

Post by Marylou »

Good to know that Buckinghamshire doesn't have a monopoly on "myths and legends"! :lol:
Marylou
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

How about this one:

'Our super brilliant DC has been exempted from SET, our prep head has spoken to the HT of the local grammar'.

Or

'DC going on school trip; not to worry, the Grammar wants him so badly that he can take the test after he comes back'.
tense

Post by tense »

Not exactly a rumour, but my favourite round here is 'oh DC got in to [super sought after school] but didn't want to go so is going to ****'.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Lol

I do know this one exists but one of our sons actually did that. Qualified for GS but decided not to go - but went on scholarship to indie instead, perhaps that makes it more believable, but it seriously was because we didn't take to the school. And it was a tough decision, but honest, its true!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you look at the waiting list figures for DAO, Latymer, Parmiters, the Watfords, HBS and QE you can clearly see that many students qualify for a North London Selective but decide to go for a private school instead. But yes there are those who lie about it perhaps because it is such a shock when they don't get in. DG
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

In Gloucestershire I know parents and DC who have opted for Crypt and Thomas Riches over Pates ( for those who don't know Pates it regularly tops the league tables and makes like very difficult for many local Glocs residents as it draws in the Tourist trade :wink: ).

Transport and also Crypt's more laid back vibe does count for something and yes DC did hit the required super score needed for Pates.
tense

Post by tense »

Ha ha, yes Yamin151, sorry, should have qualified my post by adding 'state school' :D That is a genuine (& good ) reason for not choosing the grammar!

And I didn't mean to offend those who qualified but chose not to apply either - there are so many variations on school entry aren't there? And even though I'm in Herts, I pre-date the 'getting the score before you apply' scenario that parents have round here now.
wish2014

Post by wish2014 »

Hi tense,I do know a parent whose Dc qualified for grammar school attended the school induction day and later took a decision to send local comprehensive school.They were not able to relocate due to family circumstances.Am sure lot of comprehensive schools are also doing good.All top sets children are achieving great GCSE and A level results.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Wish2014 what you say is very true. Our DS opted for a local good Upper school to do his GCSEs rather than try and get into the Grammar schools around here. It gets great grades and he didn't want to have to delay entry waiting to do a test or sit on a waiting list ( he had previously got into a SS and gets high grades so pretty sure he would have passed the selection test process). Obviously if he had been here at 11 he would have gone to the Grammar as he did in our previous county but interestingly being in the top group seems to have inspired him and renewed a previous ambition he had. So all good.

Unfortunately Tense your response to Yamin implies that it's believable to chose an Independent school over a good Grammar but not what is often perceived, quite wrongly I would say, as a lesser state school. Ironically in my experience it tends to be the other way around more often that not.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now