Year 7 CRGS 1st few days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nikkibeak

Year 7 CRGS 1st few days

Post by Nikkibeak »

How have all the year 7 boys got on in their first few days?
My DS was very nervous in advance about the bus journey, so much so that he actually wanted me to wait at the bus stop with him yesterday morning and meet him at the bus stop after school! Day one over with he's no longer scared and now I've been issued with a bus stop exclusion zone lol. That's a weight off my mind that he's happy so quickly :D
shakingmum

Re: Year 7 CRGS 1st few days

Post by shakingmum »

For my DS the days seem to be going fine, but he's pretty exhausted once he gets home. Evening one was particularly fraught as he had problems completing homework as his laptop wasn't working properly. All the problems seem to be ironing themselves out though and he's surprising me with his coping abilities.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

My DS isn't thrilled with the idea of homework everyday and has been tired too. I think it will take them a little while to get into the swing of it. Our lap top worked but my DS couldn't remember the name of the ICT teacher he was meant to send a test email to :roll:
fausto

Post by fausto »

Great news that they are settling in but do remember the tiredness !

You can access the staff lists on both the CRGS website and the School Moodle system, that might jog their memory if they see the names within each department.
pg19

Post by pg19 »

Hello,
My DS is finding the journey to school and following a routine of time tables and so many subjects quite exciting...don't know how long will that last! His form was given the homework only yesterday to be completed by Monday/ Tuesday..hoping that he will plan and organise it to be submitted on time. Suddenly feel they have grown up...Bless them!
pg
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

fausto wrote:Great news that they are settling in but do remember the tiredness !

You can access the staff lists on both the CRGS website and the School Moodle system, that might jog their memory if they see the names within each department.
Aah thanks Fausto i'll prompt him with some names.
KB

Post by KB »

Year 7 homework doesn't tend to be long pieces so get in the habit of them doing it when it's set so they don't get behind. It also means that if a problem comes to light there is time to sort it out.

I would always start by helping them plan their homework and checking its done and taken for the day its to be handed in. Note- some teachers may ask for it to be handed in other than in a lesson. This may be to their pigeon hole in the department office for example.

Most staff will respond to an email if a pupil has a real problem with homework especially at the beginning of term - as long as they don't make a habit of just not listening!! This should be from the pupil not the parent unless there is a more general concern. But if time allows its better to try to find the teacher during the next day.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

KB wrote:Year 7 homework doesn't tend to be long pieces so get in the habit of them doing it when it's set so they don't get behind. It also means that if a problem comes to light there is time to sort it out.

I would always start by helping them plan their homework and checking its done and taken for the day its to be handed in. Note- some teachers may ask for it to be handed in other than in a lesson. This may be to their pigeon hole in the department office for example.

Most staff will respond to an email if a pupil has a real problem with homework especially at the beginning of term - as long as they don't make a habit of just not listening!! This should be from the pupil not the parent unless there is a more general concern. But if time allows its better to try to find the teacher during the next day.
Thanks KB. I've been making him get into the habit of doing the homework the night it is set. I'm glad you said about the taking it in on a different day. I'll need to double check when he needs things. I've been checking his bag each day just to make sure he's got everything he needs as that's a skill it's going to take him a little while to brush up on :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

We used to have a schedule by the door so they could check the night before they had everything for the next day - a gradual move to independence that continues....
Recently found one from about 10 years ago as youngest packs for University :(

Hope your DS has a great time at the school.