Clip on ties.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Minesatea

Clip on ties.

Post by Minesatea »

Can anyone with a DC whose school uniform contains a clip on tie please tell me: what material is the clip made of, and does any part of it come in contact with the skin when worn?

School uniform shop says 100% polyester but I'm guessing that's the tie not the clip?
ToadMum

Re: Clip on ties.

Post by ToadMum »

Minesatea wrote:Can anyone with a DC whose school uniform contains a clip on tie please tell me: what material is the clip made of, and does any part of it come in contact with the skin when worn?

School uniform shop says 100% polyester but I'm guessing that's the tie not the clip?
DD wore a clip-on at her previous school. The clip was metal but I can't remember seeing anything about what. There may be a way of not clipping them over both layers of shirt material at the neck, but normally the metal does potentially touch the skin.

If you are worried about contact dermatitis or an allergic reaction (DD had no problems and never mentioned any of her friends having any, though), I would ask the shop for details of the manufacturer and contact them direct.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Clips could be covered with material if you are feeling creative. It wouldn't show and wouldn't affect how it works.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Yes, skin issues are the concern.
Material would probably look better than the suggestions we were coming up with at work, which mostly involved surgical tape!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Surely you can just clip it over the front "flap" of the shirt, so the clip sits between the two at the neck? The shirt shouldn't be tight round the neck anyway, so even if it was clipped over both it shouldn't rub....must admit, I spend a lot of time in a school where they have clip on ties and I have never heard of any problems...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Surely you can just clip it over the front "flap" of the shirt, so the clip sits between the two at the neck? The shirt shouldn't be tight round the neck anyway, so even if it was clipped over both it shouldn't rub....must admit, I spend a lot of time in a school where they have clip on ties and I have never heard of any problems...
I'm not sure how securely held it would be and it would have to be slightly 'squint' because the clip would normally fit over the top button.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

DD has 'preformed' tie. Not mad on them but I can see they provide some consistency to the school uniform. . The metal clip is slotted into the buttonhole.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Not a fan of them either. DC tend to take them off rather than loosen at the end of the day and then have a tendency to loose them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now