Bexley Test 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lefol

Bexley Test 2016

Post by lefol »

Good luck as we start this journey together . What are you all doing ? Is it CEM or GL next year ? Will start on the Cgp 9-10 CEM books next week until I hear otherwise . Sensible or am I behind?
salsa

Re: Bexley Test 2016

Post by salsa »

I emailed selection tests and all I got was that it was likely to be CEM and that we would probably know next year! We are doing CEM and GL. It's a pain not knowing as some of the work may be irrelevant.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Depending on how they make their selection, you might be able to find out more from a foi request.

For example, this year in kent it's done through a new procurement exercise which is a public process ( apart from certain things to do with pricing which would be commercially in confidence) and would need to be done a certain amount of time in advance as a provider can't just suddenly produce the kind of test the council wants the night before the exam.

Perhaps though, as bexley is smaller so the contract is lower value, it is not procured in the same way. But some other things might be available on foi.

In some ways though, knowing whether it is c e m or not is going to make less and less difference unless c e m becomes a bit samey in style each year ( has it?) as gl assessment is just as capable, if not more so, of designing "novel" tests if contracted to do so.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Hi all, can I join in? Ds will be sitting for Bexley, Kent and St O's. I thought I had things under control but now Yr 5 has started and I'm scheduling some open days into the calendar, it's all starting to feel scarily real. There seems to be so much to do in the next year. We are on the Bond 10-11 books (Book 1) but not sure when to start switching across to CEM and GL materials - after Christmas perhaps? Also, where do you find the time? Ds will have school work to do too and I want him to have a life!
lefol

Post by lefol »

You are most welcomed to join in this journey ! Only a few so far. We may be the only ones with DS and DDs taking the bexley test and that gives us top 180 place surely . Tried my DS on the bond books 9-10 and he found them tricky . How does everyone find the CGP books? We are still on the 9-10 CGP cem books and he likes them . Do share your stories and good luck for those taking the test next week .
salsa

Post by salsa »

lefol wrote:You are most welcomed to join in this journey ! Only a few so far. We may be the only ones with DS and DDs taking the bexley test and that gives us top 180 place surely . Tried my DS on the bond books 9-10 and he found them tricky . How does everyone find the CGP books? We are still on the 9-10 CGP cem books and he likes them . Do share your stories and good luck for those taking the test next week .
:D :D The only ones and top 180 by default, wouldn't that be great!
Anyway, we do not know for certain that it will be CEM. Bexley are not saying!
tag30

Post by tag30 »

Hi all
Another glutton for punishment here!!
my daughter will be sitting the Kent and Bexley test in 2016. I havent really done any prep with her at home other than reading and school homework as i have felt completely overwhelmed by the whole thing and didnt know where to start. Therefore, she has been going to a weekly 11+ group tutor session for the last 5 months and will continue this until they break up for summer next year. However, i would like to be start to be able to help her at home too so have joined this group to get some guidance :D
lefol

Post by lefol »

Welcome to the group !!!

That's less than five of us so we don't need any prep as we are guaranteed to pass ! Well started with DS on the CEM 9-10 books . I bought the verbal , non verb and maths and we do a page/section of each book everyday . I know others do more but want to see how this gets us and may up it a gear or two after half term.
Essexyummum

Post by Essexyummum »

I'm in.

Pleased to meet you all. I'm also new so burning with questions but I'll take it in slowly :D

One of my questions is, is the "top180" the criteria applied by all Bexley grammars and if so is it 180 per school? How many applicants typically apply, as in 180 out of how many?

Good luck to everyone in this journey!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi. Welcome. About 5,000 children take the exam. The first 180 children according to their scores can choose one of the Bexley grammars. The rest has to go according to their address.
If you live close to the school you only have to worry about passing. The further away you are the more you would need to worry about being on the top 180. Not all top 180 children take a place at a Bexley school as a lot of them go for scholarships or apply to other boroughs.
Are you from out of area?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now