Best bag for school

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lastminmum

Best bag for school

Post by lastminmum »

Please could anyone recommend a really good rucksack for school? DD's school bag is often very, very heavy and she has been complaining of shoulder ache from carrying her messenger bag - we think a rucksack would be much more practical. In fact I think a wheelie suitcase is needed some days with the things she has to carry!
hermanmunster

Re: Best bag for school

Post by hermanmunster »

I think rucksacks are better, except of course that they often get carried on one shoulder!

there have been discussions about reliable rucksacks before - I'll see if I can find them. Our household has found that Jeep ones last very well and come in a range of colours

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 71&t=42074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 38&t=38323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'll second jeep rucksacks. DH has one for work that he has had for some years and looks practically new. He bought it form the same shop we got DD a jeep one for primary school. She use it for 3 years, it just wasn't big enough for secondary school. It still gets used now when one of us needs a smaller bag.

Many styles, colours and sizes.
lastminmum

Post by lastminmum »

Thank you for the recommendations, will def check out Jeep and Eastpac bags, especially as I can't persuade dd to consider the actual DAO rucksack in the school shop.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

lastminmum wrote:Thank you for the recommendations, will def check out Jeep and Eastpac bags, especially as I can't persuade dd to consider the actual DAO rucksack in the school shop.
Pre-year 7, DD was invited to attend the summer school for the comprehensive school she had been allocated on the other side of town (the teacher in charge kindly explained that he was allowed to invite her on the grounds of 'social isolation' :) ). As well as a free lunch, the pupils were given a water bottle, a calculator - and a logo'd backpack to put them in. She agreed that it would be churlish not to use it for the duration, but before term started, it was replaced with something more suitable from the North Face range :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sillymum

Post by sillymum »

lastminmum wrote:Thank you for the recommendations, will def check out Jeep and Eastpac bags, especially as I can't persuade dd to consider the actual DAO rucksack in the school shop.
Hi lastminmum, the DAO rucksack is by far one of the best bags around....It fits really nicely on the back with spongy pads to take the weight, and I've seen lots of girls with them too :D But I've only seen them in the uniform shop 'Smiths' in Potters Bar
lastminmum

Post by lastminmum »

I did try to persuade dd to buy the DAO school rucksack when we went to Smiths to buy the uniform (we did tell her other kids in year 7 would be getting it), but, she wouldn't have it - just about convinced her to get her name on the PE kit!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Eastpak every time, whether messenger or backpack. Now on their third year of use; still look good and no sign at all of wear and tear - although I'd definitely go for a dark pattern as the one we have with a paler design looks a bit grubby.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

Just got DS a "Clas Seoul Large Backpack" from Kipling, it has padded straps and pockets and slots for everything from phone and pen, to swipe pass and Oyster card and even a long strap attached inside one of the pockets with a clip on the end to secure keys to, so they don't get lost. It has a laptop section, but DS uses this to separate his books. They are tough nylon, so shower proof and hard wearing. Only downside is the cost but I'm hoping it will last for ages and will therefore work out cheaper in the long run (DD ended up having 3 different bags in Y7 which was a nightmare) . They come in a range of colours so something to suit everyone.

DD now has a Troop London back which is the most hardwearing bag I have ever encountered. Hers is a messenger bag, but they do backpacks as well.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I'd recommend Superdry rucksack - the cheaper one that comes in loads of colours. Hard wearing, relatively trendy and waterproof. Ds's lasted all through yr11 (huge number of books), survived a rugby tour to NZ in the summer and is now being used for PE kit :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now