It's all over....... 5 week countdown to results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nervousmom

It's all over....... 5 week countdown to results

Post by nervousmom »

Well, that's it, after all that blood, sweat and tears it's finally over.

Difficult to decipher how DD got on. Maybe it'll become clearer over the next few days.

Now the countdown begins......
bluejay

Re: It's all over....... 5 week countdown to results

Post by bluejay »

Now the countdown begins......
Yep it sure does.
I managed to get as much info out of DS as possible, however he couldn't even recall one of the verbal words. He recalled some Maths questions and a few other parts but i was so happy that he had come out calm (he is a born worrier and panics easily) i didn't even want to ask him too much.
I asked him again today if he remembered much more so i could work out if we had worked on the right level of vocab (as i self taught him) and have to go through this journey with DC3 yet.
He basically remembers nothing further, maybe i will get dribs and drabs of info over the next few weeks!
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Can't understand why it would take nearly 5 weeks to get the results when it is computer marked (even if around 28,000 papers are to be marked).
I suppose cem don't want to make mistakes (they seem a very professional set-up to be fair to them).
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Bob, you seem a man in the know!

How does the standardisation of the scores work? I have a very rough idea but could do with some clarification
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

I've tried t work out the raw scores for my ds from the somewhat vague info he's given.
Vza has a excellent post about correlation of raw scores ad sd scores in a cem test which gives.you a fairly good indication.
Sd= (raw score% + 50.9)/0.9864.
Then for each section used the nfer sd formula:
S = 15(b — a)/sd + 100
where S is the pupil’s standardised score, b is the pupil’s raw score, a is the average raw score of all the pupils, and sd is the standard deviation of the raw scores- cem I believe have used 12.5 as the deviation but obviously this can vary but only marginally.
Tried to extrapolate each sections sd scores and reduce or increase weighting depending on estimated difficulty of each section.
Then made minor adjustments for age.
Will see in 5 weeks time if the above proves accurate!!!
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Been looking at various posts in other cem regions and most dc have been saying the cem tests were easy :shock:
I think that will mean much higher raw scores required particularly in the difficult sections.
Who knows how the sd scores will be computated now if that is the case.
Don't raise your hopes too much folks- I think there might be a few surprises in store- yikes!!!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I didn't realise other regions scores impacted on ours, surely that can only be done if all children sat exactly the same exam.

It seems that the Bham/Warks was more difficult!
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Of course it won't affect us in brum/warks but there seems to be a pattern this year where cem have been less ruthless as in previous years.
Then again when kids say it was easy it usually means easier than they had expected.
I think most dps had drummed it into their dcs that the test will be notoriously difficult.
KenR

Post by KenR »

B/Ham and Warks is more difficult as:-

(a) Bucks and Kent didn't switch from Grammars to Comps in the 1970s and so the proportion grammar places is very much higher. For B/Ham you are looking at about the 87th percentile and above of candidates (viz. only about 1 in 7)
(b) it's been going longer and so the historical degree of difficulty has become a de-facto std.
(c) LEAs or Schools Consortium can instruct Durham CEM on the degree of difficulty of the exam.

However please bear in mind that the initial 1st year Warks CEM exam this was significantly easier than the corresponding B/ham exam, but became broadly equivalent in difficulty in the following years.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Anyone out there know when the sick test will be out of interest?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now