Issue with timing at Camphill Girls on Saturday.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mummycindy

Issue with timing at Camphill Girls on Saturday.

Post by mummycindy »

Did anybody else receive this information from their dd.
My dd took the exam in the hall at CHG. She said that during part of the maths section the recording said you have 10 mins left then it stopped working. The invigulator then took over and immediately said you have one minute left.
She thought she heard wrong but carried on and then started to panic.
After the 1 minute they were told to stop. They then moved on to the next section and completed it. The invigulator then realised the error and told them to go back to the previous section and they were then given the correct amount of time.
My dd said it was very 'off putting' and she lost her flow with the maths and found it difficult to go back to it.
Not sure what to do!!!!!
Any advice would be appreciated :D
Bob1892

Re: Issue with timing at Camphill Girls on Saturday.

Post by Bob1892 »

Contact the FO and see if the invigilator made a note of it in his report.
Maybe KenR or um can help out?
mummycindy

Post by mummycindy »

Thanks! Will contact FO today.
Tonythetiger

Post by Tonythetiger »

Sounds like the same room my DD's friend was in. The story I've heard is that the CD stopped working so they were asked to put their pencils down in the middle of a (maths) section, then had to move on to the next section. They were later allowed to come back and finish the section. Sounds quite off-putting... You would think they'd have a back up CD/CD player!
um

Post by um »

I have heard this too... the 10 minutes/1 minute confusion.
However only the foundation office can really discuss what they plan to do about this.
It is certainly possible that it confused children and that confusion and worry could have had an impact not just on that section, but the rest of the test.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Without meaning to hijack this thread but talking about incidents on (not so) super Saturday I heard today there was bit of a commotion at Sheldon KE academy. There was what was described as a stampede of dps pushing and shoving trying to get in (some were queuing up apparently since 7am)!
One child ended getting quite upset and his mother whisked him away - they'll be doing the late test from all accounts.
There was security at the door to.
Can anybody substantiate this? Did anyone see this fracas?
sparky_lb

Post by sparky_lb »

Bob1892 wrote:Without meaning to hijack this thread but talking about incidents on (not so) super Saturday I heard today there was bit of a commotion at Sheldon KE academy. There was what was described as a stampede of dps pushing and shoving trying to get in (some were queuing up apparently since 7am)!
One child ended getting quite upset and his mother whisked him away - they'll be doing the late test from all accounts.
Indeed Bob I can,

The mornings long queue was for the latter part concertinaed in front of the main doors. This meant that the once orderly queue was now a waste of time and that the parents who'd turned up really early were parallel to the ones turning up just in time.

Once some of the parents noticed the doors being opened, a stampede insurged and 'to ****' with all concerned! Children were being squashed and must have found the whole affair quite intimidating. A few children were crying. Luckily we stayed back and watched the whole fiasco from afar.

My husband, who had been talking to a friend not far from the entrance was swept into the surge of people. He said that the security were taken aback and found it had to control the crowd. My husband took it upon himself and literally had to shout at everyone and tell them to move back as they were scaring all the children.

Honestly, it was like 'Black Friday'. The mentality of some of the people there was unbelieveable, What a sad but true reflection on society.

I wonder if this was a first time for Sheldon being used as a test centre as I thought the logistics of the security were a little naive.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

sparky_lb wrote:
Bob1892 wrote:Without meaning to hijack this thread but talking about incidents on (not so) super Saturday I heard today there was bit of a commotion at Sheldon KE academy. There was what was described as a stampede of dps pushing and shoving trying to get in (some were queuing up apparently since 7am)!
Indeed Bob I can,

The mornings long queue was for the latter part concertinaed in front of the main doors. This meant that the once orderly queue was now a waste of time and that the parents who'd turned up really early were parallel to the ones turning up just in time.

Once some of the parents noticed the doors being opened, a stampede insurged and 'to ****' with all concerned! Children were being squashed and must have found the whole affair quite intimidating. A few children were crying. Luckily we stayed back and watched the whole fiasco from afar.

My husband, who had been talking to a friend not far from the entrance was swept into the surge of people. He said that the security were taken aback and found it had to control the crowd. My husband took it upon himself and literally had to shout at everyone and tell them to move back as they were scaring all the children.

Honestly, it was like 'Black Friday'. The mentality of some of the people there was unbelieveable, What a sad but true reflection on society.

I wonder if this was a first time for Sheldon being used as a test centre as I thought the logistics of the security were a little naive.
Sheldon has been used a test venue before - it is part of the KE consortium.