Parking around Wallington Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumsdarling2

Parking around Wallington Boys

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Hi All,

DS is sitting for SET on the 16th, morning session. I do not know Wallington area at all. Any recommendation on parking places? Plan to get there before 8am. Many thanks.
tiffinboys

Re: Parking around Wallington Boys

Post by tiffinboys »

Take train to Wallington and walk from station. Traffic is usually a night mare and parking difficult.

Or bus. Check the route. Few buses have stops very close to the school.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I would avoid the A232 at all costs.

We've found there to be on street parking in the side roads off Bute Road (eg Park Rd, clifton Road) but you need to arrive in plenty of time (45-60 mins ahead of check in).

Good luck
Miro

Post by Miro »

What about parking near Wilson's school? Any suggestion please?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Trickier. Which entrance have you been asked to go to as that might impact it? Hannibal Way is simply a nightmare and to be avoided at all cost - lots of distressed children essentially trapped in cars as there is no room to turn around. IIRC there is a pathway from Imperial Way to that side of the school. Imperial Way also has a lot of commercial vehicles parking (as does Hannibal) but is less likely to attract 11+ parkers.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

If any one is planning to go by car, I suggest another adult (than the driver) should accompany. Atleast you would be able to drop the child in time and keep looking for that elusive parking space.
newdud

Post by newdud »

Around any of the Sutton GS parking is going to be very very difficult on that day.

I would urge any parents taking children to the tests to make other plans, you do not need the additional stress of parking on top of
what is already a very stressful event for the children.

Get up early, take the Bus or Train :D .
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Even if taking the bus, however, please bear in mind that if heading to WCGS from the direction of Sutton (i.e. on X26 or 407) the traffic will be hideous so you should give yourselves much longer to get there. I would actually plan on walking from Carshalton High Street up to the school (about a 10 minute walk) as the traffic may well just stop moving from that point......... :shock:

I agree with the suggestion to get the train if possible and walk from there. It's a fairly leisurely 15 minute walk from the station and I would always recommend a bit of a walk before the exam - gets both sides of the brain working :D

Good luck all
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Between my two now I've done all the Sutton Grammars and a few indies too.
Wally boys and Wilson's were the trickiest parking.
When my son did it three years ago the police had coned off several of the roads locally to Wally boys to prevent parking. At the open evening the police stopped people driving down some local roads by putting the blue and white police tape across the entrances.
So even if you had a look in advance and thought you know a good road to go for you may well not be able to get to it.
My technique was to leave loads of time and drive in the direction of the schools,as soon as I was within a mile I parked even if I thought I could get closer and then did the 15 min walk. Worked every time and no stress. Wally boys area is dreadful for parking even with no exam on.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Thank you all for the input. I will use the train. Seems to a much better option. Don't want to stress myself over parking.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now