Invicta Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Headache

Invicta Grammar School

Post by Headache »

Hi does anyone know if Invicta Grammar is generally oversubscribed? Also if a child passes the Kent test, are they likey to be offered a place, or do they need super high scores?
Peter

Post by Peter »

It hardly bears repeating again but, except for three Kent grammar schools (Judd, Skinners and Tonbridge) children are deemed to have qualified if they have passed the Kent tests. If the school is oversubscribed, the successful ones (apart from a few exceptions) are firstly siblings, then those who live nearest to the school as measured in a straight line. The level of pass score is irrelevant.

The situation in Maidstone is that in recent years Invicta was the most popular girls' grammar school and was oversubscribed. However, both schools now have new headteachers and policies have changed. Last year both had spaces, but my sense for 2008 is that MGGS will be oversubscribed and Invicta will have spaces, so that those living furthest from MGGS may have to try on appeal.

2009 is likely to be much easier when parents should know before application whether the child has passed and if so can confidently apply for three (possibly four) grammar schools without fear of losing a place.
Headcorn Mum

Post by Headcorn Mum »

I have one daughter at Invicta and one at MGGS. From my personal experience MGGS has more to offer - broader curriculum, is not reliant upon laptops (I find the laptops do not promote good handwriting or spelling), has a longer lunch break (so the children have more time to get their lunch and actually eat it in the allotted time). Just observations from a parent's point of view.