Starting point

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
S999

Starting point

Post by S999 »

Apologies in advance, I have searched but haven't come up with the exact answers I need.

My DD has a good foundation in Maths and is now beginning the 11plus prep for girls independent day schools in London. What is the best starting point, which papers would you recommend to start with? I don't want to overwhelm her (and panic myself!) with papers that she just can't do yet.

Thank you in advance.
Osho

Re: Starting point

Post by Osho »

It is advisable to visit either WH Smiths or Waterstones and have a look at different abilities books for starting your kids journey through to 11plus exams. Please do scroll through different books to relate the questions to your kids ability at that point of time and then if satisfied , should buy them and then work with your child on it and take it from there.
Martin_Procter

Re: Starting point

Post by Martin_Procter »

Yes, excellent advice Osho, those papers are a good starting poring.

However, bear in mind that the exams for independent schools may differ from (and be tougher than) the 11+ questions in those books. Once you’ve done all that WH Smith and Waterstones have to offer (also Amazon), search on the internet for papers from the school(s) you are targeting. In the past I’ve found the following (mainly London) schools have papers available:
• North London Independent Girls' Schools' Consortium (an excellent set of tough papers; but you need to download them from members of the consortium, not from a consortium web site)
• City of London School for Boys
• City of London School for Girls
• Colfe's
• Dulwich
• Emanuel
• Eton
• Highgate
• Latymer
• Mill Hill
• Putney High School
• Radley
• Reigate Grammar