Wilmington Boys School Admission criteria

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dwisdom

Wilmington Boys School Admission criteria

Post by dwisdom »

Hi,

Can any check my understanding Wilmington Boys oversubscribe admission criteria:

1) siblings
2) 30 places for Leigh Trust academy
3) Distance
eleanorrigby

Re: Wilmington Boys School Admission criteria

Post by eleanorrigby »

That's for Wilmington Academy, totally different school but next door to WGSB.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

dwisdom wrote:Hi,

Can any check my understanding Wilmington Boys oversubscribe admission criteria:

1) siblings
2) 30 places for Leigh Trust academy
3) Distance
This is Wilmington Academy, not the grammar school?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Hi if you mean the Grammar then the criteria is as below, all subject to passing the Kent test: 1) Looked after children 2) siblings 3) 10 per cent of places reserved for top score 4) defined parishes 5) distance

Source: http://www.wgsb.org.uk/sda/storage/lett ... 20form.doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I contacted the admissions for the girls equivalent and they came out 6.03 miles as of spring 2015 so well beyond the parishes but I don't know how the boys school compares. Also the girls school had a bulge class for Sept 2015 entry but I don't know if the boys had the same.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

PettswoodFiona wrote: Also the girls school had a bulge class for Sept 2015 entry but I don't know if the boys had the same.
What is a bulge class?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mumsdarling2 wrote:
PettswoodFiona wrote: Also the girls school had a bulge class for Sept 2015 entry but I don't know if the boys had the same.
What is a bulge class?
It's where the school decides to take / is asked by the LEA to take an extra class into a particular entry year as a 'one-off', PAN not actually being increased.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Yes ToadMum explains it perfectly. Consequences of a bulge class are often that two years later (two years being a typical gap between siblings) and there is no repeat of the bulge class then the catchment goes mentally small as extra siblings gain priority in the subsequent years but there is no more capacity. In one primary in Beckenham, Balgowan I think, they did this and two years later catchment was .13 of mile whereas it had been .5 to .7. It was bonkers. Another consequence is extra temporary funding for the school. Bulge classes can be planned or can more knee jerk, be the result of pressure of places in a particular area. It doesn't really solve any long term problem about places unlike a school increasing its intake on a regular basis.

I can't say this side effect of a whole new vocabulary was quite what I was expecting on this eleven plus journey! :lol:
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

I rang up - last year they went up to 5.57 miles
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

A bulge class can also be introduced when numbers into the 6th form are lower than expected - the school increases numbers entering in Y7 to counter the loss in funding from lower 6th form numbers, but the total school cohort remains the same. This "bulge" then has to work it's way through the school.