CGP Style Practice Books

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nard

CGP Style Practice Books

Post by Nard »

Please could anyone let me know if they have used the CGP style practice books for the CEM (Durham University) test.

My son is sitting test in September 2016 for Birmingham schools and I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience of using these books.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Amarstone

Re: CGP Style Practice Books

Post by Amarstone »

Hi there,
I bought two sets of CGP books and used them with both my daughters over the final Summer holiday. I really liked them and the girls found the comprehensions fairly engaging. I mainly used these as I (they)didn't really get on with bonds. I don't know how closely they relate to the actual papers but both dds gained grammar school places.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Used when DD2 did test last year as DD1 said they were better than the books we had used for her and more like the test when she did it 3 years ago. I would recommend them.
In retrospect if doing it now I would also get Cloze practise books(first past the post).
Nard

Post by Nard »

Thank you for the feedback it is much appreciated.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

The FPP Cloze is very hard, and that is why both my sons attempted it in the fortnight up to the 11 plus exam.

I think CGP VR 10 mins tests are great for variety, but not for their comprehension. MGS comprehensions are still the benchmark. I do not rate the FPP Comprehension books, as not enough rigour.

FPP Numerical Reasoning Short and Long books are great books but probably best to use in July to mid Aug. I think the Bond Cem papers are good for NVR and Maths, but not English.

I don't rate the AE Pub books either, my son did them but never remembered anything from them, as they were soul destroying and ineffective books to use.