Bucks exam - Standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Awesomeanshi

Bucks exam - Standardisation

Post by Awesomeanshi »

hello, I am trying to understand how the standardisation works..........in a simple way. It seems very complicated to me. How does the actual score work with the standardisation process...........I have nightmares thinking my DC would get a score close to Qualifying 121 and then fall off due to standardisation. If anyone could shed some light please. Tx :?: :roll:
ToadMum

Re: Bucks exam - Standardisation

Post by ToadMum »

Awesomeanshi wrote:hello, I am trying to understand how the standardisation works..........in a simple way. It seems very complicated to me. How does the actual score work with the standardisation process...........I have nightmares thinking my DC would get a score close to Qualifying 121 and then fall off due to standardisation. If anyone could shed some light please. Tx :?: :roll:
This topic has come up several times in recent months. If you search 'Stroller's' posts and within those, 'standardisation', you will find a good explanation with diagrams.

Essentially, the average raw score (ie the mean of the scores achieved by all the candidates) is given the value 100. Therefore, 50% of candidates will have a score on or above 100 and 50% below. The scores follow a 'normal distribution', with most scores falling around the mean.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This is basically it.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It varies from school to school and area to area, but for most areas, they find what the average score is. Anyone getting that score effectively gets a standardised score (ss) of 100. If a standard deviation of 15 is used (this is the most common but not all use it) then approx 2/3 of the scores will be within one SD of the average, ie between 85 and 115.
Again if SD of 15 is used, the top 2% will score 130 and above and the top 1% score 133 or above.
There's a stats formula to work it out, which I think is included in The explanation in the link.
Age standardisation works by only comparing children with other children born in the same month.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

BTW the standardised score is a measure of how well one has done compared with others. It tells you nothing about the underlying raw score. An ss of 141 could represent 90% and above, or 50% and above. Also, it is not 'out of' 141 or whatever. On this forum, you will often see people stating that you 'need 82%' to get a place at soandsuch a school, because the standardised score required to pass is 115. Yes, 115 is 82% of 141 - just not in this context :shock: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Awesomeanshi

Post by Awesomeanshi »

Thank you all, much appreciate your input and advice. One more question - would we get to know the raw score of our DS?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Not when you receive the results. Bucks will just give a standardised score because that is frankly the only score that count.

I believe some DP have received them when appealing but not sure if this is the case for all counties.
Awesomeanshi

Post by Awesomeanshi »

Thank you Tolstoy!
schlumpf

Post by schlumpf »

If a 121 qualifying score is supposed to qualify about 30% of the children in Bucks, how does that fit with the explanation above? Under the 'normal' standardisation model, a score of 120+ would only be achieved by about the top 10% or so, wouldn't it?

A normal standardised score to qualify the top 30% of candidates would be around 110-112, wouldn't it? Anyone understand how that works?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

schlumpf wrote:If a 121 qualifying score is supposed to qualify about 30% of the children in Bucks, how does that fit with the explanation above? Under the 'normal' standardisation model, a score of 120+ would only be achieved by about the top 10% or so, wouldn't it?

A normal standardised score to qualify the top 30% of candidates would be around 110-112, wouldn't it? Anyone understand how that works?
Standardisation against a national cohort, perhaps? Is your average Bucks child brighter than the average average child?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now