Reading School Test Numbers - Is there a Problem?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DGG_Inc

Reading School Test Numbers - Is there a Problem?

Post by DGG_Inc »

I saw a note from Reading School that the number of children who sat the test at Reading School and "other centres"; I think they mean Slough....... There were over 700 exam takers in reading and 800 in "other centers". This is a large increase in number of sitters in general but an even larger share of sitters come from Slough. Last year some 630 (approx,) sat the exam at Reading School and 560 (approx.) sat the exam in Slough.

The number of new students has increased to 150 this year, but this is more than offset by the number of students expressing interest in Reading School. What happens next year.... Put students on the roof. I think the need for a large catchment to find qualified students has long passed.
Tinkers

Re: Reading School Test Numbers - Is there a Problem?

Post by Tinkers »

Many of those sitting in Slough schools will not be in catchment and just 'ticked the box' because they could.
DGG_Inc

Post by DGG_Inc »

Yes, not all are in catchment - so I only quote the numbers of the potential cohort *ticked the Reading box) from the information I have this year. Last year a significant number from Slough were in catchment. I only want to relay the numbers are going up regardless. I would also venture last year the numbers from outside reading increased significantly due to the new test procedure. Having the same test on the same day allows "other venue" cohort to entertain reading school at no risk of alienating the grammar schools in Slough.

I know this is not a new topic, but perhaps starting to really be an issue now? I also suspect the Slough schools had some issues with filling spots due to sharing the cohort.
lara400

Post by lara400 »

Love it when I always hear "800 children applied!"...I think what they mean is that they add every grammar school up state 800!

Anyway..Freedom of information act (got to love it!)...ok - these are numbers for 2014...but I doubt there is much difference (got these off getreading website):

Kendrick School:

Applications: 307
Places: 96
Applicant per place: 3.2
%1 Prefs Successful: 45.6%

Reading School:

Applications: 306
Places: 124
Applicant per place: 2.5
%1 Prefs Successful: 57.3%

Kendrick School had the highest ratio of first choice preferences to places with 2.1 per place.

Less than half (45.6%) of pupils who put Kendrick School as their first choice got a place, while it was 57.3% at Reading School.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

lara400 wrote:Freedom of information act (got to love it!)...
Yes :)

and another fact for you.''...Cut-off on Allocation Day 1st March for Kendrick was 114.99. 164 candidates scored this score or higher meaning 68 of the highest scorers did not take up the place!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Or they weren't in catchment.
LW2015

Post by LW2015 »

Just to clarify, when you say for Kendrick School, no. of applications = 307, these are the no. of students who attained the pass marks?

Could you please confirm.
lara400 wrote:Love it when I always hear "800 children applied!"...I think what they mean is that they add every grammar school up state 800!

Anyway..Freedom of information act (got to love it!)...ok - these are numbers for 2014...but I doubt there is much difference (got these off getreading website):

Kendrick School:

Applications: 307
Places: 96
Applicant per place: 3.2
%1 Prefs Successful: 45.6%

Reading School:

Applications: 306
Places: 124
Applicant per place: 2.5
%1 Prefs Successful: 57.3%

Kendrick School had the highest ratio of first choice preferences to places with 2.1 per place.

Less than half (45.6%) of pupils who put Kendrick School as their first choice got a place, while it was 57.3% at Reading School.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think I'm right in thinking that the 307 figure is the number of applicants who put Kendrick in their CAF, regardless of whether or not it was their first preference.

Not all those who qualify for Kendrick actually choose to put Kendrick on the CAF. They may decide to apply to other schools instead.
LW2015

Post by LW2015 »

If 800 were the total no. of girls that appeared, assuming anybody who put Kendrick on CAF must have passed the exam, on that basis atleast 38% passed the exam..is this possible?

Tinkers wrote:I think I'm right in thinking that the 307 figure is the number of applicants who put Kendrick in their CAF, regardless of whether or not it was their first preference.

Not all those who qualify for Kendrick actually choose to put Kendrick on the CAF. They may decide to apply to other schools instead.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

From my DDs year, not everyone who applied had actually qualified. Some will have applied so they could put in an appeal. (There has been no successful appeal for many years though)
The % qualified I think is a little under 30%, I'm not sure what the exact figure is.

Last year is a bit Unknown, as although there were something like 1100 taking the Kendrick exam (approx half at Kendrcik, half at a Slough school), we have no idea how many sitting in Slough were in catchment, and however just 'ticked the box' to share their score simply because they could.

For the Sept 2013 entry 651 sat, 96 places and 69 on the waiting list. I know from scores on here at the time that there were a few high scorers not in catchment who didn't bother applying in the end. So would be close to 200ish.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now