Swearing in senior school

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
usa

Swearing in senior school

Post by usa »

I could really do with some advice!
My son goes to an all boys grammar school and swearing is rife. He is in Year 7. His peers swear around him the whole time, using strong language and he has been sworn at on a number of occasions by older boys too.
Is this normal in school?
We do not swear at home and he finds the whole situation horrible.
We had a word with his Housemaster, who apparantly spoke to a few of the boys, but it still continues. The swearing, by the way, is not done in front of the teachers!
I would really appreciate any comments or advice anyone may have as to whether this is now normal behaviour and he has to put up with it or if we should approach the school again.
Thanks in advance!
USA
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I can only go on my own personal experience. My children go to a state primary school in Kent. My eldest never had any major 'swearers' in her class until now - she is in year 6 and is hearing some now. However my son has been extremely unlucky and been in a class with a child who uses EVERY SINGLE swear word I have ever heard including the very worst word of all! My son is 8 years old and asked me what the c word was the other day. You can imagine my horror. :shock:
It is very upsetting that when you do not expose your children to bad language either from your selves, your family, friends etc. and also make sure they never watch inappropriate tv that they will hear these words so young.
I'm not sure what the answer is I'm afraid, apart from the obvious 'you will hear it but you do not have to repeat it'.
Sad though isn't it? :(
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi usa,

Might be a good idea to put your concerns in writing. Sometimes it's down to the cohort, some are worse than others. (The year below mine, at school, were notoriously quite awful! :shock: ) Boys being too much like boys, perhaps???
I know 3 boys in the current yr7; with 2 of them, I would be very very surprised to find they were doing this, whilst the other, a joker, may be influenced unfortunately. If it's as severe as you believe, a letter to the housemaster would not be a bad idea, stating that you are concerned and even after you know he has spoken to them, have heard it has not abated and are extremely worried about the ramifications.
It's all rather disappointing :(

BW
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

USA,

The fact that they don't do it around the teachers says they know it is wrong and are 'showing off' - if it is the school I think it is do write and follow it up - it is not acceptable in any school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now