What choices we have?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sammyp

What choices we have?

Post by sammyp »

Hi all,
A query from a desperate father. DS just gave few eleven plus exams - Surrey, Bexley, Buckinghamshire, Kent, Medway, St Olave's with main focus on Surrey. Applied for Tiffin but he won't attend. I tried to apply as many places as possible without thinking whether there is any chance. I live near East Croydon station and not in catchment of Sutton, Tiffin, Harris Crystal Palace. Kent, Medway has few places open for outsiders, Bucks has none.
DS is an average kid with approx 85% marks in Maths MCQ and 80% in English MCQ. I am expecting him to pass Stage 1 Surrey but his standard English/Maths is bit poorer than MCQ. So bit worried about stage 2 performance. My wife has full time job to look after our special needs DD. So no time for him.

Like everyone here, I want him to go to good school. Can someone suggest some good options. I can't afford independent school.
tiffinboys

Re: What choices we have?

Post by tiffinboys »

Best course is not to panic. Encourage your DS to keep trying to improve until the last exam. Forget about the grammars which are not in your catchment. Concentrate on the ones within reasonable travel.

Also do not undermine the comprehensive schools that your DS may get in case he doesn't get place in grammars. The Sutton grammars would conduct second stage tests by mid October, but St Olave's exam is bit later and who knows he may do well there or in other grammars.

Also remember that it's not end of the world if one does not get into grammars. Jeremy Corbyn hates his grammar and left with two E grades. He is Leader of A major political party.

Your DS could also try for independent schools. He may even get scholarship if he keeps improving till their exams in January. You may look for bursary. Whitgift and Trinity schools are in Croydon and few others.
sammyp

Post by sammyp »

tiffinboys wrote:Best course is not to panic. Encourage your DS to keep trying to improve until the last exam. Forget about the grammars which are not in your catchment. Concentrate on the ones within reasonable travel.

Also do not undermine the comprehensive schools that your DS may get in case he doesn't get place in grammars. The Sutton grammars would conduct second stage tests by mid October, but St Olave's exam is bit later and who knows he may do well there or in other grammars.

Also remember that it's not end of the world if one does not get into grammars. Jeremy Corbyn hates his grammar and left with two E grades. He is Leader of A major political party.

Your DS could also try for independent schools. He may even get scholarship if he keeps improving till their exams in January. You may look for bursary. Whitgift and Trinity schools are in Croydon and few others.
Thanks
newdud

Post by newdud »

Just because it is a comprehensive school does not make it a lesser school than grammer. It is merely that their teaching approach is different.

Also, consider the fact that if our child is less able than he /she may not suitable in a grammar and may well thrive and perform much better in a comprehensive where they will be 'top dog'

As TB says , do not panic , prepare for stage 2 with positive mind.
Catlady

Post by Catlady »

Hi Sammyp
I understand from your communication your child is a boy? The grammar schools in the London Borough of Sutton have a majority of their intake based upon the child's score, not their georgraphical location ( some have a small contingency based upon postcode and score). Your DS has a good chance of getting a place in any of these schools; location only counts when 2 scores are identical.
sammyp

Post by sammyp »

Thanks all for your responses. He has passed stage 1. Just received an email. Catlady, Sutton has 75 places reserved for certain postcodes and 60 for rest.

Lets see what happens in stage 2. Will be grateful if you could help me with some resources on how to improve in standard English paper for stage 2.