Polish food near Birmingham University?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Polish food near Birmingham University?

Post by ToadMum »

Apologies for posting here rather than in Rehab, but my plea is geographically specific :).

We are not Polish, but I regularly shop at one of the local 'Polski sklep' ('skleps'?) here in the Southend area. DS1 only started at the University of Birmingham a couple of days ago, but according to a phone call we received from him just now, is already suffering withdrawal symptoms of the unpronounceable spiced pork loin variety ('you know, mum, the stuff that (DD) doesn't like'. Cheers, DS1, for reminding me that one of the siblings still at home is the one who likes the fewest of the same foodstuffs as the rest of us :roll:).

Anyway, if anyone can suggest a good Polish / general Eastern European shop in Birmingham, hopefully somewhere not too difficult to find from Selly Oak, you would have the gratitude of one Essex teenager and his parents :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
LFC96

Re: Polish food near Birmingham University?

Post by LFC96 »

Nearest one I think is in Smethwick (15-17 Waterloo Road, Smethwick B66 4JX)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Thank you :). I will pass the message on. If they also sell 'bread cola' or better still, Kofola' (which is Czech / Slovakian, I think - we discovered it in a Slovakian cafe-bar in Leicester) he will be really happy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Lidl quite often have a good selection of Polish food especially sausages and cooked meats. Some Tesco branches are good too.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Tesco Springhill has wide selection. My daughter likes a Polish strawberry yoghurt type drink, no idea what it is called though. Nice.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I must admit to a slight addiction to Knorr Polish Cup a Soups

:oops:
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

There is an international food shop really near the university. Bottom of Metchley Lane, at the roundabout where it crosses Harborne Park Road - the medical school end of the campus. Don't know if it will sell what he wants but it's an easy walk to find out.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

small world. near mother in laws that, but forgot about it
FairyDust13

Post by FairyDust13 »

Hi ToadMum, the Erdington area of Bimringham has a reasonably sized polish community so will have Polish shops. It is 6 or 7 stops (20 minutes) on the intercity line direct from Birmingham University Campus to Erdington. Erdington High street is a short walk from the Train station. I am sure there will be plenty of Poles to point him in the right direction. :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Green Girl wrote:There is an international food shop really near the university. Bottom of Metchley Lane, at the roundabout where it crosses Harborne Park Road - the medical school end of the campus. Don't know if it will sell what he wants but it's an easy walk to find out.
Even better, thank you! He is based in the Biosciences building, so not far from there, I assume (not sure exactly where the med school is, but as Pritchatt's Park is the nearest residence to there and the second nearest to the Biosciences building, it can't be too much of a walk?).

Our particular favourites are the pork (apart from DD), the mushroom stock cubes (ditto - you can see why I am beginning to miss DS1!) and a 'Nutella-type stuff and vanilla' pudding in little pots, called 'Monte', which also comes as a drink. Oh, and the 'bread cola' (not DD...). And the little pastries with 'homely cream cheese' filling :) .
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now