Unknown topics in Gainsborough NVR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jjredowls

Unknown topics in Gainsborough NVR

Post by jjredowls »

Hi. There were 2 new topics in the NVR test today for Gainsborough. Does anyone know what these were? Someone mentioned ***** removed by moderatorquestions types?? Which resources contain examples of these types? Any help would be appreciated as DD is sitting it next year. Thank you.
Tinkers

Re: Unknown topics in Gainsborough NVR

Post by Tinkers »

I don't know what the position is for late tests in Lincs, but please bear in mind there could still be DC who are to take the test this year. Please do not reveal the contents of the test until we know all late tests are over.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

There is a late test for QEHS on 3 October.
JRM

Post by JRM »

Will the test paper be the same for the late test?
I ask, because I know which the unknown question types are, and I also know some children who had come across them before if they had used particular practice resources. I have purposely not mentioned it on here, but the children have naturally discussed it at school - where there are a couple of children taking the later tests. So my hypothetical dilemma is whether to recommend these resources if the parents ask for tips on preparation? I will certainly recommend them to people sitting next year.

But I suppose it's a general question for NVR. If the test paper is the same, then we could just tell the children exactly which 5 or 6 question types to work on.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
JRM

Post by JRM »

Anyone else also amused that we were told the VR was changing, but in the end it was the NVR that was different?!
Dr Seuss
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

My understanding is that it is the same test they sit, otherwise the standardisation process would be flawed with people having sat different papers. In that case I am not sure (unless all under 9 miles) why a child who has sat it already (unless a sibling) would want to discuss with a child about it (unless also a sibling), as they are potentially competing for the remaining 'rank' places. The VR did see a fundamental change from standard paper to multiple choice, whereas the NVR has always been multi choice, albeit marking a/b/c/d/e on the test paper not a separate sheet. I didn't see much reference to change in question types for VR planned this year, just the usual IPS 21 + SD 35. Both years my DC's sat it, there was a slight variation on one or two VR types, but nothing new. But yes I agree, nothing was mentioned about new NVR types.
JRM

Post by JRM »

I would imagine that any of my children would tell their friends which types to look at to help them, without even thinking about it. When you are 10 I think lots of children like their friends as much as their siblings!
I was just intrigued. I think how competitive we all get in future will depend on how many places end up being given on the ranking outside the area. I've got a 3 year break before doing it all again so it might all have changed again by then...
Dr Seuss
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

I know I have a 5-year break, so just keeping my eye on things!!
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

My DD had no idea about question types as she only did a couple of practice papers, but there were children coming out of school very upset and tearful because they hadn't practised or come across the question type. My daughter was bemused and it wouldn't cross her mind to discuss the test. When she came out of school and I asked her how her day had gone she told me about something she was making - nothing about the test at all.

This is the problem with coaching and drilling. If the test is changed regularly, people will perceive it as unfair when infact it is not at all. I can only find reference to VR, NVR and the change to multiple choice in the letter from the grammar school and nothing about question types at all.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Our local 11+ used to include a GL VR paper; none of my three would have noticed if there were 'unfamiliar' types of questions on it. And the 'R' does stand for 'reasoning', after all...

Slightly reminiscent of the post elsewhere on the forum about a school which changed its exam provider this year - apparently some children actually said that they had been given the wrong paper. Of course, it's possible that the paper actually stated that it was the entrance exam for somewhere completely different, but rather more likely that the poor things had been 'well-drilled' by a tutor who hadn't realised that there was now a familiarisation paper on the school's website that looked nothing like previous (donkey's, apparently) years' exams.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now