Correlation between Walsall and B'Ham scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bob1892

Correlation between Walsall and B'Ham scores

Post by Bob1892 »

It would be interesting if forumites who have done both the Walsall/Wolves test & the Brum KE test in previous years could relay info on how their dc did (for the sake of comparison) for both tests ie did their scores for Walsall correlate well with their Brum scores?
For arguments sake, a score in the Walsall test of 360 would roughly equate to 240 in the Brum test.
I know there was a post from our friend MSD who mentioned in his own DS's case that, although his ds did brilliantly in the Walsall test, they were still brilliant in the brum test but the score was not quite as anticipated (please concur with this MSD) :)
I understand that there must be MANY dps out there who've had their Walsall scores in the last couple of days & will be dying to know how their dc might do in the Brum test.
So is there a relationship/correlation between the 2 tests?
BTW - this will probably be the last time that there will be a comparison between the 2 tests as next year Walsall & B'Ham consortia will merge.
um

Re: Correlation between Walsall and B'Ham scores

Post by um »

My dd did very significantly better in Walsall and Warks (it was a separate test then) than she did in KE.
She still got KE CHG and is there now...I believe the lower KE score in comparison was unfortunately due to her nerves on the day as that was the exam which really mattered to her.
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

Yes please, because I've been trawling for days and haven't found more than a few posts in the last couple of years that state both scores....

And I'm likely to go totally crazy trying to make up my own "formula" based on those few over the next few weeks...
MSD

Post by MSD »

Based on our Walsall score we expected close to 248 in Birmingham, but achieved significantly lower. I am convinced there were two primary reasons:

1. Too much pressure to achieve KE, which didn't help with the nerves. Walsall was just a back up and treated as a mock.

2. 50% English weighting didn't help our cause with that being his weakest subject. We achieved 110 in English, but an excellent 125 in Maths /NVR as expected.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

MSD wrote:Based on our Walsall score we expected close to 248 in Birmingham, but achieved significantly lower. I am convinced there were two primary reasons:

1. Too much pressure to achieve KE, which didn't help with the nerves. Walsall was just a back up and treated as a mock.

2. 50% English weighting didn't help our cause with that being his weakest subject. We achieved 110 in English, but an excellent 125 in Maths /NVR as expected.
Thanks for that MSD- I knew you wouldn't mind me paraphrasing you with your ds's example :)
I keep on hearing about the NERVE factor - I think it plays a whole lot bigger role than most dps think :roll: :cry: :shock: :roll:
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Hi MSD you know my DD's actual Walsall score and i have posted separately so wont repeat

having updated the formula and had detailed estimates of what she did, we believe a top end reasonable guesstimate of:

65% max raw score for all English VR sections giving SD of 108
77% max raw score for Maths NVR giving SD of 118

so possibly a 226 - which if accurate would get us what we want which is Handsworth girls. All the usual caveats, but she doesn't think she did not do anywhere near as well on KE

BTW the above assumes 64.5% raw score for NVR
MSD

Post by MSD »

I have posted this information in other threads, but this is probably the right thread.

The below extract is from our tutor and she has asked me to share this with you guys to allay fears and misgivings regarding Walsall score vs KE score.

"Based on the stats I have, for every one that does bear a correlation to the KE result, I have another with a significant difference. Some of this is down to the different weighting but often it is down to the fact some children are more ready July than others and others, like my two 199s from Walsall last year (despite having maths/nvr as their best subjects) get a massive wake up call from that exam and go on to manage 216 an 221 in the KE exam. And one in reverse where Walsall was about 224 and KE 180 or something really low like that.

Yes, of course, it is nice if you have a good result. It means you have secured a great school. But, other than that, I would preach caution about treating it as pre-cursor to similar in the KE."

EDIT - For comparison with KE, the Walsall scores above have been averaged down to two subject areas. The score you will receive from Walsall consortium will be standardised 3 ways i.e 300+ for above average, and below 300 for under average scores.

Crossed with PP
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Petitpois wrote:Hi MSD you know my DD's actual Walsall score and i have posted separately so wont repeat

having updated the formula and had detailed estimates of what she did, we believe a top end reasonable guesstimate of:

so possibly a 226 - which if accurate would get us what we want which is Handsworth girls. All the usual caveats, but she doesn't think she did not do anywhere near as well on KE

Pp- looking at these assumptions I would say that you're looking at around 240.
I would love to say ' rest assured Pp - your dd is going to KEVIHS' - BUT I'm not sure that you'll believe me!
MSD

Post by MSD »

Bob1892 wrote:
MSD wrote:Based on our Walsall score we expected close to 248 in Birmingham, but achieved significantly lower. I am convinced there were two primary reasons:

Thanks for that MSD- I knew you wouldn't mind me paraphrasing you with your ds's example :)
I keep on hearing about the NERVE factor - I think it plays a whole lot bigger role than most dps think :roll: :cry: :shock: :roll:
Absolutely Bob! Let me tell you that second time round we were very conscious of the mistake we made with our eldest and completely changed the way we played the game. No more screaming and shouting, no added pressure and no expectations whatsoever this time round. I can already tell you that he has scored higher than his brother in Walsall and I am confident of the same when we gets the KE results. And this is without doubt the most valuable lesson we learnt during our 11+ journey.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Petitpois wrote:Hi MSD you know my DD's actual Walsall score and i have posted separately so wont repeat

What average raw did you use for both subjects?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now