SET

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zeinab

SET

Post by zeinab »

Good morning Moderators. Please check the Appeals box.

Have phoned up the schools who have said in order to appeal you need to place it on the CAF.

Also phoned A&E who will send letter to my doctor so I can pick it up.
Last edited by zeinab on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Re: SET

Post by Etienne »

Hi Zeinab - welcome back! :)

Did the school have any particular requirements such as notifying them without delay if your child was not fit to take the test?
Have phoned up the schools who have said in order to appeal you need to place it on the CAF.
That is certainly the convention.

There is a possible legal argument to be had that any decision (such as the determination of non-eligibility for grammar school) triggers the right of appeal.
[AS v Buckinghamshire County Council [2010] UKUT 407 (AAC).]
Not much point considering this, though, unless you're prepared to go to court!

Only your particular appeal panel could tell you what view they take of not having reached stage 2 of the entry test procedure. They are certainly obliged to give proper consideration to your case, but I would have thought it inevitable that, the greater the competition for places, the more difficult it is likely to be to win an appeal. This is because, even if you have an excellent case, the panel is required to consider whether the school could cope with the total number of (potentially) successful appeals. If they decide the school could not cope, they are obliged to move away from “each case is considered purely on its own merits,” and they have to start comparing cases. They prioritise all the cases, and decide which of them to allow (up to the point where they judge the prejudice to the school has become too great).
Etienne
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Hi Etienne, good to be back but not in these circumstances.

Yes they did and I did ask her if she wanted to go ahead that day and she said she wanted to get it out of the way so I took a lot of painkillers and drove her there and back - sheer agony, but us mothers are made of steel, I think!

Will they look less favourably at those who got knocked off at the 1st round than those at the 2nd ?

DD had said that prior to the test day she was very slow and last to finish her maths paper in her group and the teacher asked her if she was OK as she would normally compete with her friend and they would usually finish first. Could that help in anyway Etienne ?

Many thanks once again for your help.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Looks like DD's chances are slim. But nothing ventured nothing gained. Lived in this world long enough to realise where there's a will there's a way, but if it's not meant to be.........
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

zeinab wrote:Will they look less favourably at those who got knocked off at the 1st round than those at the 2nd ?
    • Etienne wrote:Only your particular appeal panel could tell you what view they take of not having reached stage 2 of the entry test procedure. They are certainly obliged to give proper consideration to your case, but I would have thought it inevitable that, the greater the competition for places, the more difficult it is likely to be to win an appeal. This is because, even if you have an excellent case, the panel is required to consider whether the school could cope with the total number of (potentially) successful appeals. If they decide the school could not cope, they are obliged to move away from “each case is considered purely on its own merits,” and they have to start comparing cases. They prioritise all the cases, and decide which of them to allow (up to the point where they judge the prejudice to the school has become too great).
zeinab wrote:DD had said that prior to the test day she was very slow and last to finish her maths paper in her group and the teacher asked her if she was OK as she would normally compete with her friend and they would usually finish first. Could that help in anyway Etienne ?
    • The problem you have is getting over the initial hurdle:
      zeinab wrote:I did ask her if she wanted to go ahead that day and she said she wanted to get it out of the way
      I'm afraid that could go down with an appeal panel like a lead balloon!
      (Sorry! :( )
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Another reason why I didn't call was because | was in pain which affects logical thinking so I wasn't thinking straight.

What would add weight during DD's circumstances at the time ? Would a letter from her school teacher saying she was not herself during this period help in any way ?

Would a letter from my GP confirming my circumstances at the time help in any way ?

It's so unfair how a couple of hours prevents access to sit the next stage at not one but 2 grammar schools ( and an excellent, partly selective state school ) and determines a child's schooling for 7 yrs especially when the child is able but disadvantaged at the time.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

are we allowed to see DD's test scores or papers under the FOA ?

Thanks
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

:)
Last edited by zeinab on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Would a letter from her school teacher saying she was not herself during this period help in any way ?
Would a letter from my GP confirming my circumstances at the time help in any way ?
As much relevant evidence as possible is usually to be welcomed.
However, I wouldn't want to be less than honest with you. :(
If their presumption is that she was 'fit' because she'd been judged well enough to attend and take the test - bearing in mind that there was a procedure to be followed if you considered her to be 'unfit' - then no matter how much evidence you compile, it may not be given much weight.

You can argue that you yourself were in no fit state to think straight, but it may not be an easy argument to win.
Nevertheless, as you pointed out, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Appeals are often unpredictable, and one can never be entirely sure what the outcome will be.
are we allowed to see DD's test scores or papers under the FOA ?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

My condition didn't disappear overnight but continued during the 2nd sitting, therefore it wouldn't have mattered when she sat the SET she would have still been affected :)

My ankle is still sore and very swollen and I walk with a limp but it has improved from what it was.. Everything seems to take that little bit longer to heal when you're older.

Am I able to ask how much she scored and what the pass mark was under the FOA ?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now