Manchester grammar school 2009 arithmetic

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

newto11+

Manchester grammar school 2009 arithmetic

Post by newto11+ »

Can someone help us with the 6th question pls.
Five teams took part in a recent hockey tournament at a school. The results were published on a board for the players to see. The five teams each scored a different number of points. Sadly it was raining and some of the results were washed away.
Fill in the missing numbers in the table. Points were earned for winning and for drawing but no points were earned if a team lost.

Sorry can't paste the table here.

Would appreciate if someone could look at this question and help me solve it pls.
yoyo123

Re: Manchester grammar school 2009 arithmetic

Post by yoyo123 »

In the absence of the actual question the best I can suggest is to use the information you have to help work out the missing numbers e.g. If you know 2 values you can use that sum to help you work out the third. Do you have a total anywhere in the table? Use that to work out the missing number, then feed that back into the table.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

newto11+ wrote:Can someone help us with the 6th question pls.
Five teams took part in a recent hockey tournament at a school. The results were published on a board for the players to see. The five teams each scored a different number of points. Sadly it was raining and some of the results were washed away.
Fill in the missing numbers in the table. Points were earned for winning and for drawing but no points were earned if a team lost.

Sorry can't paste the table here.

Would appreciate if someone could look at this question and help me solve it pls.
As the marking schemes are available on the website along with the question papers, do you mean, you need help with how the answers were arrived at?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
newto11+

Post by newto11+ »

yes Yoyo123, there are 3 slots that are filled in the question .tried very hard but couldn't figure out how they arrived at those numbers!

checked the answers on their website toadmum...bit embarrassed to say,even after checking the answer - no idea on how to get those figures.

The table is like number square with 1-10 in the top row and columns. and was asked to fill in the remaining remainders.(9th question in 2009 part 2 maths paper)
For the combination of numbers 3 and 7 -- 10 is already given ; and for 7 n6, 6 n 7 -- 9 .

Appreciate if someone can help me understand this question.

Thank you .
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

could you provide a link, it is extremely difficult to help if we gave no idea of the numbers!
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Is the grid like this
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Etc

If so where are the numbers filled in? Thanks.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

From the first line you can work out how many points a win is. So you can fill in the missing number in the 2nd row. The 3rd row will give you the number of points for a draw.

Now, you know that team A won all of their matches. And team B won 3 and lost 1. From this you can deduce that they lost their match against A. So you are left with looking at the options for the results of the remaining matches. Think about those options bearing in mind that each team scored different points. (There are 2 possible correct answers, which doesn't help - you only needed to get one!)
oberoijasleen

Post by oberoijasleen »

I am hoping I got this correct....

the question no 9 of the paper 2 of 2009

you need to use the similar formula which is used in the above part of the question.... i.e multiply the 2 numbers and divided the answer by 11 and then write that remainder in the box

eg. 7into 6 = 42
42 divided by 11 remainder is 9

7 into 3 = 21
21 divided by 11 remainder is 10

hope this helps....let me know if I m wrong....

Thanks
Jas
newto11+

Post by newto11+ »

Apologies to everybody - I started the post with the 6th question of 2009 paper2 but somehow mixed up with other question that was bothering me. taking care of 3 kids(helping one with 11+,tending the little sick child,ferrying other to classes) over the weekend really took the toll on me ,I guess!

Qestion 9: (2009 paper 2)

The rem of two numbers is the remainder obtained when the product of the two numbers is divided by 11.
For example,7 rem 6 = 9 because 7*6=42, and when 42 is divided by 11 there is a remainder of 9.

a. work out 9 rem 8 ( got the answer right for this)
b. If 6 rem 3 = 7, what is 3 rem 6 (This one no prob as well)
c. If 4 rem x = 3 what is the value of x? ( got right answer)

d. complete this table to show all the remainders.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
3 10
6 9
7 9

I tried to apply the above rem rule.But resulted numbers are not matching with the answer given.
newto11+

Post by newto11+ »

Now Question :6 (2009,paper2)

Five teams took part in a recent hockey tournament at school. The results were published on a board for the playerss to see. The five teams each scored a different number of points.Sadly it was raining and some of the results were washed away.
Fill in the missing numberss in the table. Points were earned for winning and for drawing but no points were earned if a team lost.

No.of games No.of games No.of games No.of games No.of goals No.of goals Total Points
played won drawn lost scored against

A 4 4 0 0 10 3 12

B 4 3 0 1 11 5

C 4 1 1 2 7 4

D 4 7 13

E 4 5 16

I tried several times but failed to get the right answer.
I figured out Winning -3 points and draw- 1 point
Total points - 12,9,4,3,2
D- 4,1,0,3,7,13,3
E- 4,0,2,2,5,16,2 (unfortunately these numberss are not agreeing with the answer given)
C- no idea how to get the no of goals scored.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now