GCSE Maths subject based paper resources recommendation

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
modernista

GCSE Maths subject based paper resources recommendation

Post by modernista »

DD (Year 10) has been chosen for the higher/ advanced Maths (I dont even know what it is) in her grammar. (40 out of the whole cohort of 180). They are not doing GCSE early. Apparently her marks have not been that consistent till now but they believed she could do it.

So far I have helped her by printing out past papers. But as this was usually a day (or two) before exams, there has never been time to practise the weak areas.

Now I want to do things systematically. Can anyone recommend subject wise paper based exercises (in the form of a book or printable with answers) for the Edexcel curriculum?
Martin_Procter

Re: GCSE Maths subject based paper resources recommendation

Post by Martin_Procter »

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "higher/advanced". You say that 40 out of the whole cohort of 180 have been chosen for higher/advanced Maths.

In a grammar school between 170 and 180 out of 180 should be entered for the higher tier; the remaining handful (if any) would be entered for the easier Foundation Tier. So your daughter cannot mean that 40 out of 180 have been selected to take the higher tier.

My best guess on what she means by "higher/advanced" is that they are doing an extra more difficult paper in year 11 alongside the standard GCSE or iGCSE. I suspect it is one of the following:
• AQA level 2 certificate in Further Maths
• OCR FSMQ Additional Maths
• CIE iGCSE Additional Maths

I think you need to seek clarification from the school on what your DD means.

Sorry not to have the answer yet.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

@modernista:
Just as MP mentioned, some schools offer Further or Additional maths to their top set girls.

Nonsuch, for example, offers OCR Additional Maths. Look for their yr 11 Maths curriculum.

http://www.nonsuchschool.org/124/year-11-curriculum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thanks for replies.
Additional OCR it is.
will try and look for resources in shops today. If anyone has any suggestions they will be most welcome. What would I do without this forum
Martin_Procter

Post by Martin_Procter »

Hi,

Great - thanks for the clarification.

I think you'll struggle to find many resources devoted to this exam, it's not taken by enough people to provoke mass publishing. It's mainly Pure Maths (algebra), a lot of it is from AS level C1, although there is a little bit of statistics (probability in fact) thrown in.

There is a text book though - I have a book which is easily available on line:
OCR Advanced FSMQ Additional Maths
Illuminate Publishing
Stephen Doyle

Once you have the text book, you might be able to find resources devoted to particular sub-topics online.

But, I would recommend also looking at the past papers (available online from OCR) - they go back to 2007, one paper per year. You'll need to be aware that OCR set some imaginative and thought-provoking questions in this particular exam, so past papers aren't as good a guide as they are for more staid exams such as GCSE and A Level. Don't forget to download the mark schemes and examiners' reports.

Good Luck.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thanks a lot everyone. A lot clearer now. Higher Maths in Edexcel for regular GCSE. Additional Maths with OCR.

DD is missing some Maths lessons for music lessons. Cant teach her music so am going to give Maths a go.

MP you are right, local WHS didnt have any Additional OCR resources. They suggested a book by Val Hanrahan. Will give Doyle book a go though first.

Looking at establishing basics now, but thanks for tips about papers and style of questions.
Do I understand that the Additional Maths is only some topics so will still need to buy a Higher Maths Edexcel book to fill in what she misses. Any recommendations for this. DD says she cant seem to find 'tougher' resources.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Do I understand that the Additional Maths is only some topics so will still need to buy a Higher Maths Edexcel book to fill in what she misses. Any recommendations for this. DD says she cant seem to find 'tougher' resources.
Usually schools provide text books. You may want to buy extra books.
russet

Post by russet »

If it is course 6993, you can just google this number and the OCR website comes up. There is lots of info there and past papers. Check the number with her school.

If it is this course, it is a difficult jump up from GCSE, but the course book by Val Hanrahan ISBN-13: 978-0340869604 is the course book and is designed for students to teach themselves.

Things like binomial theorem are a bit hard to get just from the book, so it helps to look on websites with videos explaining the bits she finds hard.

The technique of learning maths by leaving it a day or two to sink in then returning to it really helps.

There is also a CPG book which covers the course.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thank you Russet, TB and MP,

Ordered the Val Hanrahan workbook and the Stephen Doyle book last night. They have given DD a Maths book (not for Additional though) but it is often left in the school when she doesnt need it for homework. The books are more for me than her, I do not have the benefit of attending classes during the day! Although I can normally solve any Maths problems she throws at me, the books awill help me help her systematically organise her revision. I am not a teacher but often she will randomly walk into the kitchen with a problem scribbled at the back of an envelope asking me how to do it.

The Maths curriculum seems to have vanished from the Nonsuch website, I am sure this is temporary, it was there when I last used TBs link.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

May be Nonsuch is updating their curriculum.

Also sometimes, you may find used books, in good condition, at very reasonable price. Very handy as an extra copy of the text books left in lockers. No excuse for DC then. :lol: :lol: