QM Boys School Vs King Edwards Five Ways?? PRO's & CON's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SSINGH77

QM Boys School Vs King Edwards Five Ways?? PRO's & CON's

Post by SSINGH77 »

Hi

I was wondering what people thought about these two schools and what are parents preferences and why.
Also parents whose children currently go to either of these schools what can you tell us.
We live in between both schools 7 miles apart..

Hopefully we have the choice of both but we will see. :roll:
Petitpois

Re: QM Boys School Vs King Edwards Five Ways?? PRO's & CON's

Post by Petitpois »

kefw shades it for me...why?

0% middle attainers, id suggest this is the biggesy reason
20% english not first language vs 50% at queen mary boys.
Gcse outcomes not hugely different so you could make argument qm boys teaching is better.
Do you mind mixed vs single sex?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/help ... ar-schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
MSD

Post by MSD »

I think both schools are equally good. The primary differentiating factors in my opinion really are :

a) Ease of travel
b) Do you prefer single sex over mixed sex?
c) Do you have a younger daughter who might want to join big brother in coming years?

Over a longer period, it really boils down to child's attitude and work ethics in relation to their educational achievements, rather than the schools standing in league tables.

Our boy goes to KEFW and has been there for more than 2 years. We really are delighted with the progress he has made. He catches his Green school bus at 6:55am every morning and returns home around 5:30pm. But has never ever complained about the long hours. On the contrary, he can't see life without his daily bus commute - just loves it!

crossed with Q
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

Petitpois wrote:kefw shades it for me...why?

0% middle attainers, id suggest this is the biggesy reason
20% english not first language vs 50% at queen mary boys.
Gcse outcomes not hugely different so you could make argument qm boys teaching is better.
Do you mind mixed vs single sex?

No I don't Mind..
I went to a mixed School..
The differences seem to be very small..
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

If you have not already been go to both schools open days with your child and get a feel for each school and see where you think your son will be happiest.There is one at QM Boys on the 9th October at 9.45 am.In respect of KE Five Ways the open day has just passed but ring the school for a visit.It can be difficult arranging visits after the Birmingham exam results in the short period before half term.

Before I decided on the choice of school for my youngest dd I went with my dd and different members of the family on at least 3 open days for that school in the evening and during school hours over two years.

QM Boys is mixed in the Sixth Form.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

quasimodo wrote:If you have not already been go to both schools open days with your child and get a feel for each school and see where you think your son will be happiest.There is one at QM Boys on the 9th October at 9.45 am.In respect of KE Five Ways the open day has just passed but ring the school for a visit.It can be difficult arranging visits after the Birmingham exam results in the short period before half term.

Before I decided on the choice of school for my youngest dd I went with my dd and different members of the family on at least 3 open days for that school in the evening and during school hours over two years.

QM Boys is mixed in the Sixth Form.

Im going to go to the open evening again at QM and its not been too long since i went to the KEFW but its nice to get other peoples opinions on schools.

Thank You
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now