DfE performance extract

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Petitpois

DfE performance extract

Post by Petitpois »

Hi These are key facts extracted from DfE stats web site performance tables 2014

QMHS.. WGHS.. CHG ................. Notes
35%..... 11%.. 16%.............. First language not English
6.1%.... 2.6%.... 6.3% ............. Free Meals
14%.... 6%.... 6% ............... Disadvantaged Pupils
24%.... 3%.... 0% ............... Middle Attainers
76%.... 97%.. 100%.............. High Attainers
92%.... 100% 100%............. 5+ GCSES inc Maths
2.4% .... 3%.. 3.3%............... Absence
994.... 1127.. 1130 .......... Average A level points

Hope it allows you to see how good Queen Mary is in relation to both WGHS and KE Camp Hill girls. It is interesting how closely matched WGHS and CHG are.

Hope this is useful in terms of decision making. I think you need to think carefully about what the percentage of high attainers means. I take this (in conjunction) with GCSE stats to mean that more WGHS and CHG get 10 high scoring GCSE's but I don't have the level of detail to be certain.
ToadMum

Re: DfE performance extract

Post by ToadMum »

Middle attainers are tthose who enter the school with level 4 at KS2, high attainers those entering with level 5 or above. So these should be the statistics for the cohort which ended up with the given set of A levels, if all the data is taken from the same table?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

All data is from same table. I did not realise that the link was level 4/5 at KS2 though.

That's is fascinating little fact. Camp Hill Girls and WGHS are essentially taking kids that have most probably reached Level 5 (or pretty close to it e.g. 4B) by year 5. Some school's suggest excellent progress is 3 sub levels whilst good is 2 sub levels across an academic year. So so those at 4B or higher at the time they do 11 plus are going to be those that enter top performing GS with level 5 or 6.

That suggests a reasonably tight link between the SD scores DC's get in the 11 plus and the progress they have made. CHG and WGHS seem to be creaming of higher scoring 11 plusers who also just happen in most cases to be Level 5 / 6.

Tentatively then If your kid is at Level 5 in year 5 for English and Maths, that might well be (as some claim) a good predictor of a higher than average 11 plus score and put you on track. I am sure this has been discussed extensively before - is there a link to the discussion thread.

BTW I heard this before, but that really looks like a very strong potential link between level and 11 plus outcomes. Are levels being scrapped this year???
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

my younger child (now yr 5) had no levels in her end of yr 4 report.
We were told my son's year (just moved into yr7) was the last year to receive levels at sats.
we had used his levels throughout yr5 at school as a guide to sit the 11+ last sept, not sure how to guage the younger sibling's progress :?
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I guage mine by

Can they completely nail timetable by end of year 4
Writing quality
Reading fluency
Spellings need to be mostly 10 out 10, each week.. This is entirely a parents fault if not practised at home.
Do the bond placement test and get a baseline, but I would wait till mid year 4 for that

My lot are up stairs reading as I refused to let tele go on. I absolutely get infuriated when people say education is unfair, when stuff like that costs nothing to do. It is not hot housing or heavily tutoring.

Btw even though you can hear a pin drop, they know they have to read as after each session they have to summarise what they have. Not hard, costs nothing. And fun as were summarising ratburger now.

Levels were sort of helpful, except if you aim for level 3 in the hope of level 4 by yr6, then your failing them anyway in my opinion.
MSD

Post by MSD »

PP give her a break! She have just been through the toughest ordeal of her life i.e 11+. Mine is on complete rest (6 hours of PS4 a day), until he starts in Year 7.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I must be overtutoring, She said I have I have just got my 11+ and yoyr treating me like a "vagabond".

Tv on all quite in house apart from telly.

No rest for wicked tho, dd2 has got to catch up :oops:
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

Yes, levels have gone. They have been replaced by a flight path numerical system.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

My DD is watching TV all night now, not ideal I know! (Or on Skype with her friends) :?

We found that year 6 was a breeze for my DS, having done 11+ he had already covered most things, so had a whole year relaxing before the hard work started at KEFW. (Although now in year 9, still has time each evening for Fifa 16 on Xbox!) :lol:

Although they do both read a bit before going to bed, DD enjoys reading but DS not so much.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

BTW the way in terms of reading mentioned earlier - DD1 is putting her feet up. No pressure on her any more. Yr6 will be a laff, compared to yr5

dd1 never liked computer games that much, its DD2 that has to earn time on the console, as she does want to do anything, other than video games!