HEAD TEACHER APPEALS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SARJAN

HEAD TEACHER APPEALS

Post by SARJAN »

Hello all. daughter took 11 plus in Jan. She tells me her books from school have gone missing. I think they are getting ready for head teacher appeals. I was wondering if any one has any idea how sucessful or how many children are likely to be accepted on such an appeal. Many thanks.[/list]
Peter

Post by Peter »

Last year there were around 600 successes out of some 1200.

Some schools take everyone's books to disguise who is being entered for Headteacher appeal.
dadofkent

Re: HEAD TEACHER APPEALS

Post by dadofkent »

SARJAN wrote:Hello all. daughter took 11 plus in Jan. She tells me her books from school have gone missing. I think they are getting ready for head teacher appeals. I was wondering if any one has any idea how sucessful or how many children are likely to be accepted on such an appeal. Many thanks.[/list]
Cannot help you on success rate, although I understand it to be quite low. But before you worry unnecessarily it may be worth checking what are the school practices concerning the "appropriation" of books. I am aware of of one local school where the whole classes books have gone missing (even of those who did not take the 11+), obviously so that the appeal cases cannot be identified.
SARJAN

Post by SARJAN »

Thanks for the replies.Guess I will just have to wait and see. The school had said they would appeal if needed, which is good to know. Must try to get on with normal life whatever that is! Other wise will probably crack up.
countingdays

Head teachers appeal

Post by countingdays »

DDs books have been taken. She has been told not to worry but that has not stopped me from having a sleepless night. I have just phoned the school to ask if the head is putting together an appeal on our behalf. Waiting for them to call back. I can't believe that this is so difficult. Our eldest daughter is already at our first choice school. Dd no 2 has always been slightly ahead of her big sister so I think we were a little complacent and this has come of a bit of a shock. I suppose we will have to wait until March 3rd!!!!
SARJAN

Post by SARJAN »

Dear countingdays. I think the waiting is actually worse than the test days. At least something was happening then! I like to think that if child is being put forward for head appeal, then that has got to be a good thing. At least they believe in the child and will try. I would be disappointed to find out they hadn't appealed. Remember Feb is a shorter month.....this year would be a leap year tho. LOL
countingdays

Head teachers appeal

Post by countingdays »

I agree that the waiting is the worst. When I was waiting for the results for dd no 1 my boss actually let me go home to see if the postman had been. Prior to this I had dropped the girls at school via the postman's normal route, driven home from school via the postman's normal route and then driven to work via the postman's normal route. Am I paranoid!!!! or just a normal mother? Still counting the days.
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi,

the head appealed for my son last year, who was one point short. I don't know af any heads appeals that were granted in kent last year, including Christophers.

As far as I know we all went to formal appeal, and it appeared that 50%
got through on this appeal, as did Christopher.

good luck

Cindy
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

cindy wrote:Hi,

the head appealed for my son last year, who was one point short. I don't know af any heads appeals that were granted in kent last year, including Christophers.

As far as I know we all went to formal appeal, and it appeared that 50%
got through on this appeal, as did Christopher.

good luck

Cindy
Blimey, I thought head's appeals were a pretty sure fire way of getting into a school! I can't believe your son didn't get in if he was one point short and the head appealed on his behalf Cindy! Kind of wish I hadn't read that :lol: :shock:

The way you've explained it, Cindy, is the other way round to the way I thought it worked - I thought if your head teacher appealed you were pretty sure of getting in, but if you appealed yourself, you were much less likely.

Confused!
Peter

Post by Peter »

The point is that there are three different opportunities of assessing whether the child is of grammar school ability using different methods:
1) The Kent test assesses the child's ability to perform in VR, NVR and mathematics tests (around 3200 passing);
2)if unsuccessful and the headteacher thinks the child is worthy of support, then the HT appeal focuses on the child's written books, also taking into account test scores and HT comments (as recorded previously, some 600 positive assessments last year out of 1200)
3)if unsuccessful, then the parent has the opportunity at independent appeal to present any other information they feel demonstrates the child's ability (700 successes last year).

In other words, its not just the test, there are alternative ways through. That's fair!

Of course, the above does break down if one is applying for one of the three west kent grammar schools that selects on high scores, or in the case of the independent appeal, for a heavily oversubscribed school.

Be very careful of urban myths!