Adams Buses from Wolverhampton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wolvsparent

Adams Buses from Wolverhampton

Post by wolvsparent »

Hi everyone,

Having had a very positive trip around Adams this morning, we are probably going to put it as our first choice.
So now the question is, how do the buses work from Wolves? Are there guaranteed places on the buses? Is there only the one back at the end of the day if they stop for extra curricular stuff?

Anybody know where the first stop is on Wolvs1 bus, the website says Richmond road, but not which end.

Thanks!
onebigdilemma

Re: Adams Buses from Wolverhampton

Post by onebigdilemma »

Sorry not sure on where on Richmond Road it stops. There is just one bus for each route. You are not guaranteed a place and there are some year 7s this year who arranged their own minibus transport as they did not get a place on the school bus but they will be on the waiting list for when a place comes up. My son initially didn't get a place on the bus but fortunately one became available.
The bus only runs at set time after school, anything extra curricular you have to find your own way home.
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

I'm sure I read somewhere that the annual cost is £940. They have various pick up points.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Wolves 1 collects and drops off at the junction of Richmond Road and Compton Road (the one that goes past Wolves Grammar School). Cost is £940. Also picks up at Oddfellows, Cosford and Tong.

There is no guarantee of a place however if you have a spot you are guaranteed one for the following year. This may change of course as the catchment area takes hold and the number of pupils wanting a bus is reduced.

There is only one bus pick up after school. Extra curricular will necessitate being picked up. There are however plenty of parents who do this so the journeys can be shared. DS2 is part of a group of 4 or 5 who do several activities together so the parents (one being DW) take it in turns.

The boys on Wolves 1 have a great time - CCTV cameras were fitted last year :twisted:
wolvsparent

Post by wolvsparent »

Thank you HappyDad!

It's a bit of a worry not knowing whether you'll get a place on the bus, yet another thing to stress over!
Both of us work nowhere near Adams but my husband has Friday's off so could enter into a car share group with others. It just seems like a bit of a lottery :? I guess the fewer number OOA this year may work in our favour possibly, if of course we get in.

I guess my biggest fear is accepting a place at Adams, not getting a bus seat, finding we can't realistically get him there and then not being eligible for a place at our local shiny new and actually not that bad comprehensive. AARRHHGGG!!!

I don't suppose they ever change the route slightly to account for where parents live? It would be easier if the bus came a bit further south towards Penn as I still have to get the youngest DS to his school and me to work!

I think this may be a very long 5/6 months!
wolvsparent

Post by wolvsparent »

Ooh, another thought. When do you get told if you have a bus place? Is it very soon after March or do they keep you hanging?

Thanks again
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

From memory we expressed an interest not long after offers came out but didn't get confirmed until May/June. You pay £100 deposit and then the monthly amount starts in September.

It is yet another hurdle to get through but most seem to get offered a bus place. If not there are plenty of parents available to share journeys especially for extra curricular. There are definitely Adams' parents in Penn. There are solutions.

They have three set routes as far as I know but as mentioned earlier, as catchment kicks in there will be less children to catch the bus so Wolves three buses may become two become one. But not for a while.

I do empathise. I have seen parents thinking that once the results come out then that is it, over. That is where the stress really begins :cry:
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

My son got a late offer off waiting list so when bus places are on a first come first served basis they had all been taken on our route.
Spaces do come up late as some children are staying in 6th form depending on results. We were told we were unlikely to get a space but one came up in the June.
The school did put all parents who had children who had not got a bus place in touch with each other (with your permission).
They won't change the route at all.
It was a stressful time as I had twins going to different schools, neither with a bus place confirmed!!

Edited to add that it is frustrating that their isn't a public bus service from Newport to Wolverhampton.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Happy Dad - I wonder how they manage the FW7 bus places for KEFW. I am pretty sure there is no limit on how many can apply.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

MSD, I think the Green Bus just accept as many as can physically stand on the bus.

Having said that, the service is definitely better over the last six months.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now