Second stage wilson's and SGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Doubledutch

Second stage wilson's and SGS

Post by Doubledutch »

DS sitting Wilson's and SGS second stage. Not having passed WCGS passmark, we are now very anxious about ranking from SET being carried over. Call me silly, but could the candidate number for the second stage set reflect his ranking in the SET? Also, how much of a chance do boys have who have not made it to the, albeit higher, cut off oint that WCGS have applied?
mumsdarling2

Re: Second stage wilson's and SGS

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Hi DoubleDutch, my DS is sitting both the tests as well. Though he has passed the Wallington cutoff, I do not think the SET score will be the decider. Given that your DS has been invited to Sutton and Wilson's, his SET score may still be very good to give him a good chance.

If you look at Sutton website, this is what they say:
Four standardised scores will be calculated using: (1) the multiple choice items from the English paper on the Selective Eligibility Test; (2) the multiple choice items from the mathematics paper on the Selective Eligibility Test; (3) the English paper in the second stage test and (4) the mathematics paper in the second stage test. The four standardised scores will be weighted in the ratio 2:2:3:3, an age allowance will be added, and the total rounded to the nearest four marks to give the final score.
So the SET probably has 40% weightage. DS's performance in Stage 2 will count for 60% which is still a lot I think.

For Wilson's, here is the breakdown.
The final rank order of the entrance examinations will be determined on the basis of the aggregate scores of the Selective Eligibility Test and the two elements of the second stage Entrance Examination in the ratio 2: 4: 4.
The SET counts only towards 20% of the final score.

My personal opinion is that the performance in the stage 2 will determine the outcome.
newdud

Post by newdud »

My personal opinion is that the performance in the stage 2 will determine the outcome.
Correct.
Entry into these two schools is havely weighted towards second stage test results.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Doubledutch wrote: Call me silly, but could the candidate number for the second stage set reflect his ranking in the SET?
I doubt that. My DS passed Wallington but his candidate number is over twice as high as that of his friend who didn't make Wallington. So don't worry and focus on the next two tests. I agree with mumsdarling2 -whether DS passed Wallington or not, everyone is still in the running and Stage 2 will decide to a large extent. Which makes me rather nervous, by the way. :shock:
Doubledutch

Post by Doubledutch »

Thank you! Nice to have such kind and reassuring replies.
Inthezone

Post by Inthezone »

How did your DS's find the test today? I think mine was disappointed as he didn't finish the maths but English wasn't a problem. My feeling is he won't pass as he didn't finish. Is that a fair assumption? He did enough for WCGS and now we wait to sit Wilsons.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

It seems that a lot of them run out of time and didn't complete the maths paper. Try not to worry.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Doubledutch

Post by Doubledutch »

My DS came out quite confidently, found the maths very hard and did not finish the last question, but says lots of them did not finish (which seems to have come across on the forum).
Like a lot of others, English is not his strong point, but he thoroughly enjoyed the essay and seems to have been pretty creative there!
Sadly, as he did not qualify for WCGS, I do not have a great deal of hope that he will climb high enough to counteract the 40% set-back the SET score has created.
Onwards and upwards, Wilson's tomorrow and Tiffin on Tuesday...
Starlight14

Post by Starlight14 »

Doubledutch wrote:My DS came out quite confidently, found the maths very hard and did not finish the last question, but says lots of them did not finish (which seems to have come across on the forum).
Like a lot of others, English is not his strong point, but he thoroughly enjoyed the essay and seems to have been pretty creative there!
Sadly, as he did not qualify for WCGS, I do not have a great deal of hope that he will climb high enough to counteract the 40% set-back the SET score has created.
Onwards and upwards, Wilson's tomorrow and Tiffin on Tuesday...
We are in the same boat, DS didn't qualify for WCGS either. He found the maths paper quite challenging and only just finished it. He enjoyed the English paper, not his strength, but I think it gave the boys ample opportunity to demonstrate their abilities. However as you say the SET a score is a real worry, as someone pointed out earlier it's not only how the boys do in the exam but how there scores relate to all the other boys.
Inthezone

Post by Inthezone »

That's us done now, just a waiting game! Good luck to everyone.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now