Last1973

Do Medway pupils get priority over ooc children

Post by Last1973 »

Or is it purely on scores.
Thanks
ToadMum

Re: Do Medway pupils get priority over ooc children

Post by ToadMum »

Found admissions criteria in the form of individual pdf files for each school here

http://www.medway.gov.uk/schoolsandeduc ... s2016.aspx

The two I looked at had siblings as first category after LAC etc (didn't think fully selective schools were allowed to do that, but obviously I was wrong there) and ended up with distance, no mention of a higher score requirement OOC. But assuming that on the whole a Medway address will be closer to the school than a non-Medway one, then unless you are applying for a place for a foster / adopted child or you already have a child at the school, then yes, Medway applicants would get priority at those two, at least, I suppose?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
didledad

Post by didledad »

Based upon the excellent results, the out of area children have posted, I can see that this could potentially raise concerns for Medway Parents.
I am no expert on these matters and indeed this is my first experience of the 11 Plus Journey. However, it is my understanding that the only two Schools affected would be: Rainham Mark Grammar School and The Rochester Grammar School; as they are the only Medway Schools that have rank score as an admission criterion.
I also assume that each out of area applicant makes their own Secondary Common Application (SCAF) to their own Local Authority, consequently they are highly likely to be applying to other schools in areas such as: Kent and Bexley. Consequently classifying their preferences to their own individual criteria, which would not necessarily mean that either of the aforementioned schools would be placed higher than the so called Super Selectives in North and West Kent for example?
I would deduce that Kent Children living in Maidstone, Swale and Gravesend would find Medway Schools most accessible. However, to the best of my knowledge Maidstone and Swale Grammar Schools select on distance and not rank score, therefore their local Grammar Schools would generally be higher ranked on their SCAF’s, than the Medway Schools. Equally Medway Children maybe more inclined to apply to Kent Schools, consequently balancing the net effect.
As the Medway Test selects 23% of the Medway cohort, not 23% of those taking the test, there must be some degree of correlation between the number of Medway Children selected as suitable for Grammar Education and the cumulative PAN of the Medway Selective Schools?
I would suggest in conclusion that there must be a lot of Children who are sitting multiple selection tests and as Medway was the first to announce it's results, the Medway forum was the first opportunity for parents to discuss their children's results; however, ultimately their higher ranked preferences lay elsewhere.
didledad

Post by didledad »

Taking a break from what I should be doing, I have analysed the total selective and nonselective Medway PAN’s. From the data readily available I can comment thus:
• I do not know the most critical piece of information, that being the total of the 2015/2016 Medway year 6 cohort, thus I have assumed this equals the cumulative PAN's of all Medway Secondary Schools.
• Cumulative Pan is: 3,350, thus 23% of that is 770
• The total Selective places available are: 1,020 (assuming 60 places at the Bilateral Howard School)
• 1,020 less 770 means there are 250 places available for review, appeal and Out of area children.
• As EmmaJane1 kindly pointed out in her post dated 29/9/15 only 36 reviews were successful last year and failure at review seemed to prejudice a future appeal ,thus it may be reasonable to assume that most of these available places go to out of area children?
• This analysis takes no allowance of gender.

Anyway back to work!
emmajane1

Post by emmajane1 »

The 2 chatham schools are never very full whilst the others fill to capacity. RGS/ RMGS select on score others on distance/siblings.

The thing is in medway lots of kent children are really from villages that border medway eg Higham Wouldham etc which are under kcc but realistically are v close to medway and these children are usually choosing their closest school. I think it totally right to look at no of miles away not if a child is inside the medway borders.

There isn't a problem really with non medway children taking places - medway children who qualify mostly get their first choice grammar and all are v g schools.

concerns in medway are more over the variable non selective provision.....

the admissions booklet explains it but if in doubt I have found open evenings to be great most schools will give you advice based on your situation about if you are likely to qualify. First open eves for us are this week/ next weekend
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ToadMum wrote:The two I looked at had siblings as first category after LAC etc (didn't think fully selective schools were allowed to do that, but obviously I was wrong there)
Under the terms of the School Admissions Code, selective schools may not give priority to siblings if they select by highest score. If there is a flat qualifying mark, siblings may be given priority.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now