Morrisby testing

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

logic32

Morrisby testing

Post by logic32 »

Hi all,

Have just read a thread on this subject from last year but wondered if anybody could enlighten me further.

My Y11 DS is quite keen to take this test ( for a £95 fee! ) but Dh is convinced it is a waste of time and quite probably money.

DS is struggling to make a decision re A level choices and feels this could help him. He is good at all his GCSE subjects and has been told he is capable of taking any of them at A level. But as he himself says he is not great in any particular subject, hence he is now totally confused and getting himself somewhat stressed.

His first love is history / ancient history but ironically I think these two subjects, listening to his teachers are probably going to be his weakest. So he feels that this path may not be the best for him and me telling him to do subjects he enjoys I'd not much help.
He has no clue as to a career choice ( and I don't blame him at 15 ).

I guess my question is would Morrisby testing confuse the issue of A level choices further and perhaps influence him too much. Or if we accept it is merely a indicator, might it actually help him make some decisions.
Daogroupie

Re: Morrisby testing

Post by Daogroupie »

We (dds and me) all found the Morrisby very helpful.

It really identifies areas they are strong in and guides them towards jobs that play to their strengths.

It also tells them areas they should really avoid.

If your ds loves History then he should do it. My dd is doing A level History and loving it, we talk about it constantly.

Being passionate about a subject is the most important thing and hopefuly Morrisby will come up with some interesting jobs for you. DG
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Sounds interesting. What is it?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Look at fasttomato.com - run by Morrisby, it does much the same thing (DIY version) and is rather cheaper!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DS had Morrisby testing at school a few years back (free - not sure how that happened!) . Found it quite interesting - however I did suspect that some of the careers that popped up were related to his own plans at that time (which later changed).

It did bring up a couple of other suggestions which he hadn't thought of and one even ended up on the personal statement! (changed his mind now).

Don't remember it mentioning A level choices :?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Sally-Anne wrote:Look at fasttomato.com - run by Morrisby, it does much the same thing (DIY version) and is rather cheaper!

I'm going to try this out on DD later. Taking her to her first careers fair this week and one at her school next week. At the moment she has no real idea, except she is interested in either primary school teaching and photography.

It would be interesting to see what else it could throw into the mix.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

My dd did fast tomato and said it was "quite useful" but didn't rave about it. Never heard of this though - will look into it.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

My DS in typical lazy boy mode, has now decided he doesn't wish to do the Morrisby testing as it is scheduled for the day he has an inset day ! Cheesed off as I had finally talked Dh into thinking it was a good idea. Oh well, a day off gaming with friends, versus choosing what to do with the rest of your life. Apparently an obvious decision.

But thanks Sally Anne for the fast tomato tip - he definitely will give that a go, and as you say it will save some money.

I do remember doing a similar kind of test, but not until 6th form. I've never forgotten one of the career choices it suggested was a bricklayer. I didn't Pursue that career path in case you were wondering.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

logic32 wrote:Thanks for taking the time to reply.

My DS in typical lazy boy mode, has now decided he doesn't wish to do the Morrisby testing as it is scheduled for the day he has an inset day ! Cheesed off as I had finally talked Dh into thinking it was a good idea. Oh well, a day off gaming with friends, versus choosing what to do with the rest of your life. Apparently an obvious decision.

But thanks Sally Anne for the fast tomato tip - he definitely will give that a go, and as you say it will save some money.

I do remember doing a similar kind of test, but not until 6th form. I've never forgotten one of the career choices it suggested was a bricklayer. I didn't Pursue that career path in case you were wondering.
Because I had a (now faded!) analytical mind, one of the suggested career choices was Air Traffic Controller. Quite a lot of people should be saying thank you to me for not pursuing that one!!!

Hope you DS gets sorted - he isn't alone in being lazy.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD tried fasttomato.com and it's thrown up some interesting suggestions that we hadn't even thought of.

I took her to a careers event this evening (a bit different for me to be on the other side of the fence so to speak, it's the first time I've gone as a parent) and it was useful for her to have done it before hand. She has another at her own school next week too, so has time to digest the info she got today and go back with questions if need be.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now