Bursaries

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kanye

Bursaries

Post by kanye »

if a child gets a bursary, how likely or typical is it that the funding will be withdrawn the following year assuming no changes to circumstances? We are interested in applying but are worried the stress of wondering each year if we would again get it is not worth it.
Bazelle

Re: Bursaries

Post by Bazelle »

I never heard of withdraws of bursaries or scholarships if there is really no change in circumstances.
kanye

Post by kanye »

thank you for replying. that is helpful to know
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I never heard either. (I bloomin hope not as we have one in addition to scholarship, lol!)

My belief is that notwithstanding an obvious change in circumstances, and that might include the behaviour of the child of course, bursaries are given for the school career of the child. They cannot say this as
1. What if school went bust, or near to, they need to maintain the right to withdraw and
2. What would indie school haters say to put you off going for it, if they can't frighten you with stories of year long pressure on your child and two hour interviews to maintain funds??? :lol: :lol:
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Bursaries, I am sure, would never subsequently be withdrawn, absent a change in circumstances.
Loopy
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

All awards have some behaviour and progress conditions attached, but any independent school worth going to knows that progress isn't linear, and all teenagers will go though "it" at some point. So a bursary isn't an additional threat hanging over the child's head - it gets removed if the school want them to leave.

Yes, you will probably have to fill out financial details annually, and if you win the lottery, inherit a fortune or have a significant change in family circumstances, then it will be reviewed. If you are a single parent then it may be worth checking what the school does if you remarry.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As has been said above, unless there is a change in circumstance (either family finances or behaviour or substantial breakdown in contract between child and school) then the bursary usually holds for current children. If there is less money in the school's annual bursary pot, it tends to affect new children entering the school rather than current bursary holders. Also, be aware that most independents run bursaries from Y7-11 in the first instance, rather than right the way through to 6th Form. This is to allow them to "renegotiate" at the end of Y11 (for example if the child has not achieved well enough at GCSE, or if there are new applicants to the 6th Form who have more financial need).
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Yes, very true. That makes sense really.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Also, be aware that most independents run bursaries from Y7-11 in the first instance, rather than right the way through to 6th Form. This is to allow them to "renegotiate" at the end of Y11 (for example if the child has not achieved well enough at GCSE, or if there are new applicants to the 6th Form who have more financial need).
I don't believe that's true at all, although it may apply to some scholarships. Bursaries are normally awarded on the basis of the child's time at school and are absolutely NOT dependent on whether or not a more deserving case presents itself to the school in the meantime. No rational parent could ever accept a bursary place under such conditions.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now