QM Boys Grammar School Vs KEFW... 2015 Opinions Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SSINGH77

QM Boys Grammar School Vs KEFW... 2015 Opinions Please

Post by SSINGH77 »

Good Afternoon To All Parents..

We live between both schools and would really like as much feedback from parents of both schools...
Also would like opinions of parents who may have the same dilemma!!!

I have been to both open evenings and we are re visiting QM Boys this Friday...

We have to make our decision within 2-3 weeks!!!

Just want some honest opinions on both schools....
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream
Petitpois

Re: QM Boys Grammar School Vs KEFW... 2015 Opinions Please

Post by Petitpois »

-KEFW had some inspirational and engaging teaching staff.
-I thought the science team stood out as particularly inspiring and passionate about their subject area (so may be -something to consider) especially if that where your DC is beginning to lean (Medicine, Science, Engineering etc)
-Their results are on the up as is their ranking I believe.

-Girls were a minority so it felt somewhat like a boys school, but others feel the girls hold their own and play and equal role, but I just could not get it out of my head that it didn't feel like a mixed school. Just my view.
- Interestingly KEFW is the only mixed grammar option I can see, so I may have to work on the DD, because having written this, I am thinking there would be lots of reasons, not to send DD to an all girl joint, if you follow my drift, but that is all that is on the table unless I factor in the local comps.

Can't offer a view on QM boys.
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

Hi.

I visited QMGS last year and was very impressed. I really liked the school and the Head. I'm going again this Friday to the Open Day.

Sorry I've not visited KEFW so cannot compare. However of the two schools, KEFW are top of the league table.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... -2014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think you need to take stats and data with a pinch of salt. Go with your gut feeling and also ask your DS his preference. You are very fortunate being located in the midst of two excellent grammar schools.

Fingers crossed for you .... Pls also wish us luck!!!
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

Thanks for the comments..
I think the stats are too close in my opinion to have any bearing..
I think that knowing if a school is stronger in certain subjects is good but if we get good results in the KE exam we are going to have a real Dilemma..

Not many people comment on QMB and say its just a mock exam and basically are making the school sound cheap...

I don't think that is very fair on their behalf
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

I've only seen KEFW which I really like but I would say I would also look really carefully at journey times to each school including if there is more than one way of doing the journey.
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

Green Girl wrote:I've only seen KEFW which I really like but I would say I would also look really carefully at journey times to each school including if there is more than one way of doing the journey.

Thankyou
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

I had same choice few years back - but things change.

QM - really liked the head. Liked their all-round academic support, cadets, but couldn't entirely convince other half.

KEFW - liked the school. Location (travel impact) not so great for us as it happens. New head - pink/purple decor scared me. Perfectly 1950's BBC-spoken head-girl - felt artificial, but hey ho! Lots of short skirts apparent - but that may or may not cf with SG, HG. Sorry - just how I saw it at the time. Great school: buildings, subject choice, academic results.
Shame they chose or had to ditch IB I thought, but probably better to focus not dilute (ala CHB, CHB) - concentrate resources and try to make up for any narrowness of A'levels elsewhere.
Didn't like the idea of traveling in the dark during winter. Especially that alleyway. DS is staying on later at school for clubs and finishing off work now, but it feels safe, and he's confident where he is. (so I pray!)
It is another great school though.

They both are.
mamfa

Post by mamfa »

I've not been to KEFW as it's the furthest from us. However, I really liked QMGS and when DS was sitting his 11+ they asked me to stay onsite (as he has a health thing) so I sat in reception (on the hottest day of the year, obvs :roll: ) for hours minding my own business. I couldn't help but overhear the staff and teachers etc all afternoon and everyone seemed really lovely and down to earth. There was also an incident (a fight) between some of the boys just after the exam and watching how they dealt with that was also very impressive.

QM is likely to be our third choice (fingers crossed for next week) after BV and KEA, but only because of distance.

Good luck.
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

WindowGlass wrote:I had same choice few years back - but things change.

QM - really liked the head. Liked their all-round academic support, cadets, but couldn't entirely convince other half.

KEFW - liked the school. Location (travel impact) not so great for us as it happens. New head - pink/purple decor scared me. Perfectly 1950's BBC-spoken head-girl - felt artificial, but hey ho! Lots of short skirts apparent - but that may or may not cf with SG, HG. Sorry - just how I saw it at the time. Great school: buildings, subject choice, academic results.
Shame they chose or had to ditch IB I thought, but probably better to focus not dilute (ala CHB, CHB) - concentrate resources and try to make up for any narrowness of A'levels elsewhere.
Didn't like the idea of traveling in the dark during winter. Especially that alleyway. DS is staying on later at school for clubs and finishing off work now, but it feels safe, and he's confident where he is. (so I pray!)
It is another great school though.

They both are.

Hi Thanks for the input..

Did you decide on KEFW?
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

My DS is at KEFW and we love the school.

He has a 35 minute green bus journey each way (which was 45 mins the last 2 years but they've changed his route)

I don't know anything about the other school, but I do have a very basic view of all these schools. They are grammar schools and therefore are all good!!!

KEFW is our first choice, probably looking at Alcester Grammar School as second. Lower down the league tables, but still 100% at GSCE, so still better than most local comp!