Waiting for results of Halifax test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

flamingogogo

Waiting for results of Halifax test?

Post by flamingogogo »

Anyone beginning the long 2 week wait? How did your DC find the test? Which school are they hoping for? maybe we can speed the wait up? Do you think results will come before the 16th?
crazimum

Re: Waiting for results of Halifax test?

Post by crazimum »

Ds sat the test on Saturday found the maths tricky and had to guess a fair few at the end, said vr was okay guessed 3 he couldn't do ( word meanings he didn't know) heard a rumour results may come weds 14th but not sure if that's wishful thinking! How did anyone else's dc get on? Our ds wants to go nhgs.
flamingogogo

Post by flamingogogo »

My dd wants to go to Crossleys, not sure if she will get a high enough rank based on her mock resullts, but hoping she gets high enough for North Halifax. Crossleys is nearer for us so would be nice. She's a bit anxious over it all as the kids have been talking about the test at school. It seems so hard on such young kids, feel bad putting her through it but she wanted to have a go.

She found it similar to your DS crazimum, guessed the last few maths and a few VRs too.
Robomum

Post by Robomum »

Hi, first time poster here :) My dd also did the exam on Saturday and she found the vr ok but said the maths got harder near the end. She wants to go to NH so I'm just hoping she'll rank high enough. It's my first time going through the eleven plus and I had no idea how stressful it could be. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I have honestly no idea which way it'll go.

I felt a bit awful in the end putting her through all this but she really wanted to have a go. Just hoping that after the results I can quit my eleven plus obsession tho!
Hebden

Post by Hebden »

Hi yes we're trying to keep ourselves occupied until results day too! I'm trying to psych myself up for a wait until Fri 16th, even though in reality the post has arrived on different days over the last 3 years! It was Friday last year, a day early on the Thursday the previous year (when my eldest child sat the exam) and I understand it was 3 days early on the Tuesday the year before that. Either way we're just glad the exam is over and we'll know by next weekend for sure! My DD is hoping to get in at CH.
jo123

Post by jo123 »

Hello, we are waiting for results too. Same feedback really that VR was ok and maths was difficult. Fingers firmly crossed!!
Does anybody know where you can find information regarding how many children sat the test? I have heard lots of scare mongering about ever increasing cohorts. At weekend one mum was adamant that 2000 children sat the test last year, and I just can't believe that to be the case.
Hebden

Post by Hebden »

Hi Jo, I have an email from Crossley Heath confirming 1,010 students had registered to sit the exam by closing date this year. I also have an email from Calderdale Admissions confirming 994 students sat the exam last year, and "over a thousand" in the previous year. The numbers are therefore fairly consistent each year and nowhere near as high as the rumours! I hope this helps.
flamingogogo

Post by flamingogogo »

Someone with some inside info told me around 1200 which sounds plausible, there did seem to be hundreds just at crossleys, which I assume was only half :shock:

Does anyone know the statistics of how many summer born children sit the test compared to autumn born? My dd is very young and most of the children we know that are doing really well are the Sept/Oct borns. I would love to see statistics showing what the distribution of birthdays is of those that get a grammar school place. I wonder if the age age standardisation of the VR is enough to ensure that there is an even spread of birthdates throughout the schools. And why isn't the maths standardised too?
jo123

Post by jo123 »

Thanks both. Around 1000 seems more plausible and gives us better odds!
flamingogogo

Post by flamingogogo »

So? Do we wait till DC get home from school and open the envelope together, or will we not be able to wait and open the minute it drops on the doormat, or will we be too scared to even open it at all? I can't decide.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now