Bexley - Top 180 allocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Curiousparent

Bexley - Top 180 allocation

Post by Curiousparent »

Hi,

I have a couple of queries about the allocation of the top 180 seats in Bexley. All help would be appreciated.

1. Are these 180 for OOC or for the absolute top 180 (my assumption is that this is the absolute top 180 but need confirmation)?
2. Does this list of 180 keep changing based on whether DCs give up their seats for higher preference schools? And what is the process that is followed ?

Thanks for all your help.
Happy hamster

Re: Bexley - Top 180 allocation

Post by Happy hamster »

Hiya,

1. As far as I'm aware, it's the absolute top 180 irrespective of where you live

2. I think it is a 'one off' 180. I.e. Anyone who doesn't get in top 180 on Wednesday, will be assessed on distance only, provided they are deemed selective. Even if others drop out. That's my understanding.

I have a question too:
Presume the 'furthest distances' in the Bexley application guidance don't include kids in top 180 (who could be from anywhere)...? So they are a reasonable indication of how far away non top 180 people can live... That must be the case surely.

Good luck for Wednesday!!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Absolute top 180 regardless of location. Many will not take up a Bexley grammar place for whatever reason. That place not taken up does not shuffle down to number 181 etc on the list so it is a fixed list.
hornetgirl

Post by hornetgirl »

That's a shame isn't it, I bet a fair few of the top 180 also get offers from Kent and Olave's.
angelface

Post by angelface »

Hi - sorry to go off track but in your opinion which are the top schools in Bexley.

DS ranked in the top 180, but I don't know any one that has children at the schools to ask about them. the Bexley schools will be our 3rd option as St.Olaves and DGS would be our 1st and 2nd choices.

Grateful for any advice and congrats to all those that passes the Bexley test!
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

I think all the GS in Bexley are top schools…

It just depends what school meets your child’s needs the most. In the end how well they achieve once they get to GS will depend on the child. I definitely don’t think the Bexley GS are in some way inferior to schools like St Olaves, Newstead etc.. I know a fair few who have gone on to St O. none of them seems that exceptional tbh. and some are still tutored up to the eyeballs…. years after passing the 11+ where does it stop? GSCE, A-Level, University?

If only tables and Ofsted reports would include details about who is being tutored outside etc … wouldn’t that be wonderful?
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

St Olaves and Newstead are super selective schools....so if your kid passes these tests then this should be your first choice
the other 4 grammars are next best shot as they are the best schools in Bexley

We didn't bother going for super selective as we wanted to focus on an 'ordinary Bexley Grammar' - our kid is not bright enough for super selective.
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Really??

My oldest sat and past Newstead and I can not come up with a single reason why I should have chosen it over her current school. She is now in her GCSE year and her predicted grades suggests we made the right choice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now