Wolverhampton Girls High - open evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Petitpois

Wolverhampton Girls High - open evening

Post by Petitpois »

Head teachers speech was weak and tentative.

WGHS School went to Madagascar last year - not bad really. Kid next door said his Sandwell comp had been to Madagascar also (must have been 3 as the trailer for 4 has only just come out :lol: :lol: ) - screams of outrageous snob echo;

Head girls speech was engaging, confident and positive and whoever she was, she was a credit to the school.

Mad science teacher setting kids on fire was funny

Girls were very polished and engaging. DD got talking easily with many of them. I had a long a in depth chat with a great Wolvo lad, done good for himself.

I felt teaching staff, were too stand offish for me. KE staff came across as living and breathing the KE consortium ethos. I don't know why I gained this impression of WGHS staff, because the kids were outstanding and this must be because of the staff.

School looked well resourced,

Overall an impressive school, but probably the head needs to go on a marketing course as the KE heads, know how to do a much slicker job of things.
Bob1892

Re: Wolverhampton Girls High - open evening

Post by Bob1892 »

I had a long a in depth chat with a great Wolvo lad, done good for himself.
I like the in depth part pp :P
Only joking PHM
Boing boing
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Hi Bob sent you a PM. Please have a look

ta
MSD

Post by MSD »

To me whether the Head delivers a good or not so good speech isn't really of much importance. They might not be great at public speaking, but have all other qualities necessary to lead a successful school. That's really a personal opinion and I know some parents who base their decision on the speech itself :(

PP - Just out if interest, why would you rate the delivery of the speech to be so high on your agenda?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

The headmistress is Trudie Young who has been there two to three years and is a former pupil of the school.I think she is making changes which are pushing the school further in the right direction.It is now the school of choice for many demanding parents of girls in the north of Birmingham many of whom pay for their children's education until 11.The children in their school uniforms must have been a dead giveaway.

When we chose a full fee paying place at KEHS for my eldest dd 9 years ago we made a huge mistake.We were too busy in our work and left it to the school and our dd whilst gaining academically did not enjoy her time there.Her time at QM boys in the sixth form for 20 months was transformative.We don't get fooled by the buildings and the facilities anymore.

While I have had more time recently I have also created more time for our children and have chosen more carefully and would have paid if I could have found a place where my youngest would be happier than where she is currently.

I didn't understand your comment on the teachers as I have observed no differences between the grammars and the independent sector.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Hi I wasn't drawing any contrast with the indies. I just sensed that at KE HGS, KEFW and KE CHG that the teachers were a little more engaging. Some of them lived the brand for their school. I always got into good conversations with the KE staff at whatever school.

I only had one conversation this time with a teacher. I asked my standard question of what do you most like about this school and her response was this school is stand out because of the warm friendly relationships that exist within the school.

As I say the girls were fantastic. It's probably that the Heads speech was poor and at times technocratic. We are all old enough and big enough to not judge a school by one speech on one night.

BTW the Head girls speech was outstanding in both its delivery, passion and enthusiasm. I don't recall such a good speech elsewhere, but the girl may possibly have been from the sixth form, which might explain the maturity and confidence in which the speech was delivered. As an advert for the school she would have been hard to beat

Was really good overall. Travel will be a pain, but as were at defcon 1 re the KE, looks like for sale board gonna have to go up.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Petitpois wrote:Hi I wasn't drawing any contrast with the indies. I just sensed that at KE HGS, KEFW and KE CHG that the teachers were a little more engaging. Some of them lived the brand for their school. I always got into good conversations with the KE staff at whatever school.

I only had one conversation this time with a teacher. I asked my standard question of what do you most like about this school and her response was this school is stand out because of the warm friendly relationships that exist within the school.

As I say the girls were fantastic. It's probably that the Heads speech was poor and at times technocratic. We are all old enough and big enough to not judge a school by one speech on one night.

BTW the Head girls speech was outstanding in both its delivery, passion and enthusiasm. I don't recall such a good speech elsewhere, but the girl may possibly have been from the sixth form, which might explain the maturity and confidence in which the speech was delivered. As an advert for the school she would have been hard to beat

Was really good overall. Travel will be a pain, but as were at defcon 1 re the KE, looks like for sale board gonna have to go up.
Don't worry pp- houses are selling like hot cakes in Harborne at the moment- at least you'd be getting a decent price for it which will get you a nice 7 bedroom house in darlaston :lol:
MSD

Post by MSD »

I will be interested PP! I am sure you will sort some mates rates out
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

personal translator and butler as well>>?
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Hi MSD re mates rates on the shed.

Sprechen sie Darlo?

They had a great German teacher at WGHS
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now