Observations Bexley v Brum

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Petitpois

Observations Bexley v Brum

Post by Petitpois »

I am going to stick my neck out and say I dont think bexley and brum are comparable.

Interesting that assuming the population mean 200, which it may not be, we are to believe that the top 180 out of 5400 is described by 249+ result.

I think the lowest score is 120 and highest 280, so lowest 180 were scoring below 150....? Two standard deviations should get 98%+ so that is a very steep bell curve with 5000 clustered in that standard dev either side of 200. Where are the super high cohort averages coming from in bexley.

I think were just looking at a couple if high scorers and panicking. I wish soneone with low sd and raw scores would post

97 percentile starts at 249, many many kids in bexley must have been scoring lower.

In any case remember your comparing Birmingham with some surrounding feeder towns, with densely populated bexley and bromley. I just don't think the demographics are comparable.
Bob1892

Re: Observations Bexley v Brum

Post by Bob1892 »

50 views and no replies pp- you must be losing your charm :lol:
Take a tip or two from herr Klopp this afternoon at his first press conference. The guy is class.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Every old horse goes to the knackers yard at some point bob! My time is neigh!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Much more probably though, the stats have descended in to stressed out mumbo jumbo.

I would have thought most people have switched on the ignore button
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

To be honest, you may as well be talking in Klopp's native language, cos I haven't a scooby doo about what your saying :lol:

Although from the jist of it, forget Bexley SD and go back to our original calculations :shock:
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

NM - I'm afraid we can't ignore bexley as it shows what can happen if the test is dumbed down and A LOT of dcs get high scores. Unprecedented times.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I have gone through the posts over the last couple of years for Bexley and the 55% seems to hold.

Fact that you get treated special if your top 180 is a response to the highly dense nature of the London borough. Get top 180 score so you get special treatment out of the 800 places on offer across the four schools...... or your into a complete lottery job based on catchment distance for the grammars. Must be a nightmare there.

Mostly Tory MP's so leafy suburbs and and I sort of don't understand why two examples (one of which is highly anomalous with the maths Standardisation has got every one so spooked ......Bob)

Am I missing something other than a more normal score. I strongly suspect that if your in the more normal SD range, you will have rapidly concluded that all hope is lost unless you live opposite the grammar school gate.

For everyone else sticking to the 55% get you scores for the 800 ranging from around 215 to 250+(the top 180).

If brum mirrors that and I see no reason why it should not then plenty of people will be getting say 60-65% and still achieving places at KE schools.

Just thank your lucky stars and you don't live in Bromley. Have a very bright kid that scores 247 (and missed the 180), but get trumped by the richer parent who lives in a £950k detached nearer the school gates, but whose kid scores 219.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

salsa wrote:
Petitpois wrote:Salsa why would you not challenge that maths score, given you are so close to a top 180 place?

Does any one have lower SD and raw score to share??

Brum community are in state of shock with these results
I would if it was my child! My eldest took the test in 2013 and my youngest will take it next year.
I wouldn't worry so much in Birmingham, Durham University with their CEM test have messed up at lot in Bexley and they change the test every year. I'm not very impressed. They are up for renewal this year and a lot depends on this year results. They just lost to GL in Kent. Another poster said that last year only 7% of Bexley residents passed. Bexley is close to Kent and Bromley, so children from those regions and other London boroughs take the test. I really don't think you need to worry in Birmingham.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now