Why conceal the number of sitters for SET?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amoda

Why conceal the number of sitters for SET?

Post by Amoda »

There is something which has been bugging me since the SET results were released 2 weeks ago. In previous years, they had told parents the number of sitters in the results notification email. For example, last year, we know 4,378 boys and girls sat it and 1,800 went through to the 2nd stage.

This year, we've got absolutely nothing. Had it not been the Heads at Wilsons and Sutton disclosing the number who passed Wally Boys (through frustration with the Wally Head more than anything else) - we would be completely in the dark.

Why the lack of transparency? Why all the secrecy? I simply don't get it - unless I'm missing something.

The rumour mill suggests over 5000 sat the test - why couldn't they just tell us? Then we can better assess our DCs chances.

Let's hope they provide more information in the 2nd round results notification. Shame they didn't share in the first place.
tiffinboys

Re: Why conceal the number of sitters for SET?

Post by tiffinboys »

Amoda, you make a very good point. I think too that this information should be freely available. Perhaps, a request under FOI would be useful.
newdud

Post by newdud »

I think too that this information should be freely available. Perhaps, a request under FOI would be useful.
'Us mere mortals' should not have to resort to FOI to get this information.
It should be a matter of public record, unless the Sutton GS think that it is a matter of National Security :lol:
ScaredDad

Post by ScaredDad »

Amoda wrote:There is something which has been bugging me since the SET results were released 2 weeks ago. In previous years, they had told parents the number of sitters in the results notification email. For example, last year, we know 4,378 boys and girls sat it and 1,800 went through to the 2nd stage.

This year, we've got absolutely nothing. Had it not been the Heads at Wilsons and Sutton disclosing the number who passed Wally Boys (through frustration with the Wally Head more than anything else) - we would be completely in the dark.

Why the lack of transparency? Why all the secrecy? I simply don't get it - unless I'm missing something.

The rumour mill suggests over 5000 sat the test - why couldn't they just tell us? Then we can better assess our DCs chances.

Let's hope they provide more information in the 2nd round results notification. Shame they didn't share in the first place.
I have a theory - details (how many passed etc. etc.) are concealed to ensure that parents don't make assumptions (by definition these can be wrong some times) about their DC's chances. Given all of this is relative, parents dont know what other parents would put in their preference list and hence have no clue about what their DC's chances are.

Schools want parents to just fill their true preference.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I agree it is somewhat strange that we haven't been told how many children sat the SET and how many qualified to the second stage. Apart from everything else, knowing the numbers might help those who didn't pass deal with their disappointment - if nearly 60%/over 2500 children didn't get through (based on last year's numbers) I imagine it helps to know that a significant number of others are in the same situation. It becomes more of a 'competition is very tough' rather than 'I wasn't good enough'...
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
mags18

Post by mags18 »

A friend who's DS wrote SG 2nd stage exam recently was saying apprx 800 appeared. Surely SG must have passed more(since now we know atleast Wallington passed 781) and only reason for not appearing in 2nd stage to me would be those candidates who took first stage SET as practice for other exams to follow ?

Each year no of candidates appearing for exams are increasing. These cannot be all due to increase in local candidates but reflection on far-station candidates . It's a shame actual numbers are not published by schools. Also worth a thought if Sutton GSs should have a better ,well defined policy for catchment ,especially for boys .
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

I was under the impression that, in recent years, each year group was larger than the one above and therefore the number of children sitting the SET would increase year on year. The birthrate has certainly been on the up since 2001 or 2002 but whether all of those those people remain local or move far out of Sutton for schooling I don't know.
The economy probably has an impact as well. More and more prep school pupils seem to be taking state grammar school tests than was the case some years ago when continuation in the Independent Sector was the assumed route.
Woodbine

Post by Woodbine »

The queue on the morning suggested at least that if not more, and there was a further sitting later in the day. Given that Wallington passed 800 approx, you'd have to reckon about 1300 were permitted to sit the second stage.
If fewer turned up it could be that the Head's letter backfired in that by stating the large number of Wallington passes it actually put off some parents whose charges had not reached this mark. I know the exams are weighted but it is probable that a sizeable proportion of those posting the highest scores in the SET will be top in the second stage exams.
Some might have decided the odds of success were not worth the stress of sitting the second stage.
Amoda

Post by Amoda »

I'm totally with Purpleduck in terms of managing the disappointment of not getting through. It also tells those who do get through that they cannot rest on their laurels and become complacent.

Additionally, the equal preference system enables parents to put schools in their true order of preference anyway. It is just good information to know how many sat the test that's all.

Scores and rankings would be useful too but that debate has been had and we now have to accept a 'pass or fail' notification. Fair enough, but at least tell us something!

I've heard of a parent who thought she had 'bagged' Wally following the headteacher's letter and decided not to bother turning up for one of the other two boys schools 2nd stage tests. Had that parent been aware of such numbers passing from the outset, they may well have approached it differently.