Bexley appeal process.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aatjjj1

Bexley appeal process.

Post by aatjjj1 »

Hi

I wanted to know about appeals, how to start!, my son missed the pass mark by 1 mark (and with rounding down only 0.3 !)

His brothers went / go to the local grammar school, one just left to go to Oxford and the other is current year 8, I Really wanted them in the same school, can I appeal?
Its a Bexley borough school, do I try to get the head to support me or just appeal to the school , how do you go about this this is all new to me.

He is level 5/6 in all subject areas, I think the issue was time, he didn't finish the papers.

Advice Please.
Moderators

Re: Bexley appeal process.

Post by Moderators »

can I appeal?
Yes, certainly - but you will have to include the school on your CAF form, and then wait to be formally refused at the beginning of March 2016.

You submit an appeal form (normally by the end of March), and the hearing will probably take place in the summer term.

Meanwhile there is plenty of reading for you to do:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aatjjj1

Post by aatjjj1 »

Thanks I'm working my way through that now....all new territory.

Does already having a sibling at the school strengthen my appeal at all?......he was just 1 mark off, and didn't finish the paper, sibling is in the oversubscription criteria, but because he was 1 mark off I wasn't sure if it still counted !

how do I get figures for how many appeals won/ were marks off etc for his school (Beths )
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

aatjjj1 wrote:Thanks I'm working my way through that now....all new territory.

how do I get figures for how many appeals won/ were marks off etc for his school (Beths )
I asked the school when I went through appeal for my DS ( different area) they were very open about it and happy to tell me - that may not be the same for every school. If there are a lot of children above the cut off who do not get places and the school really is full to capacity then it will be a much harder appeal to win
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

aatjjj1 wrote:Does already having a sibling at the school strengthen my appeal at all?
Yes, it could help.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sibling is in the oversubscription criteria, but because he was 1 mark off I wasn't sure if it still counted !
Appeal panels are free to consider any argument - they are not limited to the normal oversubscription criteria.
Follow the link provided by Moderators above:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Common questions, no. 3.
Etienne
aatjjj1

Post by aatjjj1 »

ok I've done a lot of reading now and one thing I am still unsure of ......

would having a head teachers appeal (head has said we have full support ) hinder our chances at appeal to our chosen school is unsuccessful?

With having a sibling link which should I chose between >? or just try both....I don't want to make a mistake here.

Can someone advise ?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

would having a head teachers appeal (head has said we have full support ) hinder our chances at appeal to our chosen school is unsuccessful?
It depends whether the admission authority will seek to argue at an appeal that there's already been a 'fair, consistent & objective' review. In Medway and Bucks they do, which is a serious problem. In Kent (to their credit) they don't.
I don't know about Bexley - you'll need to enquire. Try asking the grammar schools.

The only thing I could find on the council's website is:
Please note that selective decisions will only be
changed by the Review Panel in exceptional circumstances
Note the word "exceptional".

However, you do need to investigate the success rate for appeals at the school(s) you're interested in - it's not impossible that favourable decisions via an appeal are also "exceptional".
Etienne
aatjjj1

Post by aatjjj1 »

They sent me this the school in the last 3 years and appeals, I have no infor on headteachers review, except hey said they managed to get a couple through last year.

Beths Grammar

Number heard 11
Number allowed 0

Number heard 23
Number allowed 1

Number heard 6
Number allowed 1

So it looks like I need to ask by doing the review does it affect the ability to appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

aatjjj1 wrote:They sent me this the school in the last 3 years and appeals, I have no infor on headteachers review, except hey said they managed to get a couple through last year.

Beths Grammar

Number heard 11
Number allowed 0

Number heard 23
Number allowed 1

Number heard 6
Number allowed 1
Not a high success rate, unfortunately.
So it looks like I need to ask by doing the review does it affect the ability to appeal.
No, because the answer to that question has to be "Yes, you are able to appeal".

The question to ask is - "If someone has had an unsuccessful review, do you make it part of your case at any subsequent appeal that there has already been a 'fair, consistent and objective' review?"
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now