Great British Bake Off

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Great British Bake Off

Post by um »

Nobody has mentioned it - doesn't anyone watch it on here ? :D

My dd has watched it with great interest as she is a keen baker (on catch-up as we don't have TV/aerial!) and I did catch the last bit when the winner was announced.

I thought the words from Nadiya at the end were very profound:

I’m never gonna put boundaries on myself ever again.
I’m never gonna say I can't do it.
I’m never gonna say “maybe”.
I’m never gonna say “I don’t think I can”.
I can and I will.

:D
Stokers

Re: Great British Bake Off

Post by Stokers »

DCs 2&3 and I have been avid fans for a few years now and there was not a dry eye in our living room on Wed eve! We were all rooting for Nadiya - and all thought that this year was more about baking than showy designs (although the latter, of course, was important - great looking cake, Tamal!).
I agree - Nadiya's final words were really inspiring - a real reminder that, whatever the basic/initial ability, belief in yourself counts for so much. Think I've read some research somewhere that demonstrates higher performance in tasks when accompanied with a 'can do' belief.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It's my third series, I like the positive atmosphere (I can do without the lingering fake pause before announcing the weekly departure, thank you), the exacting standards and the huge strides the contestants make between the initial disaster-ridden stages and the finals. Positive messages all round...

I was a bit put out about the rampant injustice of Ian's presence in the final this year, but tbh whoever went through was always going to be an also-ran against Tamal and Nadiya.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

um wrote:I thought the words from Nadiya at the end were very profound:

I’m never gonna put boundaries on myself ever again.
I’m never gonna say I can't do it.
I’m never gonna say “maybe”.
I’m never gonna say “I don’t think I can”.
I can and I will.
:D
Sorry to sidetrack this thread for 30 seconds... :oops: My love for books can't stay silent!! :lol: :lol:

A lovely book to read on this theme is:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jonathan-Living ... 147679331X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the film itself is beautiful, magnificent and splendid!! :D All about gulls, flight, trying to push oneself boundaries, believing in oneself (and also doubting! :wink: )…
Have a taste here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgkk0Hd ... 92D7F3C746" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... with a beautiful music by Neil Diamond. Here is the song: my father
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDbToBxhZUo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I was young, I had a quotation taken from this book above my bed.
However, some of the children of today’s society who are used to American blockbusters might find it difficult not to be bored while watching such a film, but I am sure that animal and nature lovers would be under the spell!

Some good quotes from the book are here:
https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1 ... on-seagull" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the old days, there was an edition of the books with tracing paper so there could be a superposition of different seagulls on a rock... Just beautiful! I couldn't find it anymore in France so I brought back my grandma's book for DS to read!

Now, sorry for this parenthesis :oops: :oops: , back to OP's thread... :wink:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I loved the show, I loved nadiya, but then I loved the homely grandmother that got evicted early on. We were not impressed by nadiyas choux pastry tower thing though...leaning on the point of collapse, nor some or her more dodgy flavour combinations and the peacock tail was lovely but the body comical, none of us could work out how the judges seemed oblivious to the contrast, she didn't stand out for us as a baker, but did as a lovely person so we are happy she won. Overall they were all brilliant cooks and it was fun to watch.
Mary berry is taking loads of stick at the moment for her comment on watching her figure as no one liked watching fat people eat cake, she spoke as she felt, I think the many negative and personal comments about her are far worse.

Why did you think Ian shouldn't have been in the final Mike??
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I liked Ian, great to see a house husband on there as well. All the contestants in the final were lovely people but Nadiya deserved to win on the night most definitely. She was very determined despite her lack of confidence and that quote you've posted is inspirational.

Paul irritates me, a tad arrogant I fear. I think Mary B should boss him about a bit more as he seems dismissive of her opinions but not she of his.

Also it is a little formulaic -young girl thrives, young girls leaves etc. Getting star baker early is the kiss of death so Granny didn't stand a chance SB3 and personally can't see how someone can deteriorate that quickly in a week :shock:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Poor granny. :cry:

I liked Ian a lot too, he was great at thinking things through, unlike me who makes a mess, disguises mess, pretends it was the plan all the way along. :lol:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

We loved it, as did our boys. We all watch it, dh included.
We did feel that the technical standard this year was not as good as last years. Still fabulous of course, but not as good.
It really bugs me that they have Mel or Sue saying "5 minutes to go" and you see contestants just kneading their bread, or mixing icing etc, such a irritating liberty with the cameras.

BUT, all that negative aside, I love it and find it such a safe programme and so supportive. Someone was complaining about it making the news. Well, apart from the fact it got 14.5 million viewers, its also nice to have some nice news for a change instead of feeling we must always JUST concentrate on the horrible, no matter how important. It reminds me what we all doing here! Nice people, comforting food.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Loved it. Thought Nadiya was a worthy winner but would have been happy with Tamal winning too. Loved his personality. I didn't warm to Ian, which ought to be irrelevant because he was good.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Tolstoy wrote:I liked Ian, great to see a house husband on there as well.
House husband, renowned travel photographer and the Dalai Lama's personal photographer when he visits the UK apparently. Still not the best baker though :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now