11+ V BIRKENHEAD

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wirralnumbers

11+ V BIRKENHEAD

Post by wirralnumbers »

Exam taken Monday Results received today.

Makes you think doesn't it!
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

It does indeed. So how did your daughter get on?
wirralnumbers

Post by wirralnumbers »

She passed so the choice is now made harder. I do have a personal preference for a co-ed school. She doesn't..but I think she will in a few years!

I am also starting to worry that the "forces of darkness" seem to be turning their attention to the Grammar Schools..and nothing but nothing will stop my daughter getting the education she needs.

Roll on March and the 11+ results!
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

Congratulations and well done to her! That's one in the bank for now! Just got to wait on the others.
Yes, I guess the decision is the more difficult now. Birkenhead is the only co-ed she has entered for I know-never would have thought that would ever be the case with Birkenhead but then yes, things are changing rapidly around us, as with BHS too.
Who knows whether Grammar schools can survive the tide of change. I presume that this is what you mean be the "dark forces"?
Do you think it is possible that Grammar schools may be forced into academy-type status as the Government seems to be pushing forward with Academies?
I am interested in your views because my daughter has entered for BHS and Wirral Grammar and if she passes for BHS (which is just around the corner) then these are the considerations we will have to face.

Great news for you though!
wirralnumbers

Post by wirralnumbers »

It just feels that grammar schools have lost their political friends. The Conservatives are now anti them and Northern Ireland are about to lose theirs.

As far as I can see academies are just comprehensives with a fancy name and it was a comprehensive that screwed up my partner's education.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

I'm not sure really. I don,t think any of the political parties would want the controversy of axing Grammars. Ok they may not build any more but I think they know better than tamper with existing successful Grammars.

David Cameron recently backtracked on his Grammar statement and Tony Blair always said that he or any successive Prime Minster would never get rid of them so perhaps all is calm and wisdom is seen in maintaining the status quo here. Hope so.

Here on the Wirral we have also seen a good deal of money spent on the fabric of the Grammar schools alongside the money spent on the comps so I think all in all I remain optomistic!
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Wirral Numbers,
Sorry I must have missed this post :oops:

To your daughter for passing Birkenhead exam :D
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

Wirral numbers:-How did your daughter do in the BHS exam?
wirralnumbers

Post by wirralnumbers »

She passed. 2 down and 1 to go!
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

Congratulations again! My daughter passed too. 1 down, 1 to go for us.
Looks like you're heading for a Royal flush!