Help on Ranking for Ribston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

onthecusp

Help on Ranking for Ribston

Post by onthecusp »

My daughter has received the qualifying standard with a 479 rank for Ribston. Do you think this will be enough for her to get into Ribston for Sept 2016?

According to the letter we received, the 364th student in 2013 and the 369th in 2014 and 459th student for our current Year 7s got into the school so we look to be outside.

Was last year a slightly freakish year for entrance to Ribston as I notice the PAN did not change much at any of Gloucestershire grammars last year?

Any help appreciated as I need to decide to go ahead with a move to get in a better state school area next week or gamble on Ribston!
mcfly

Re: Help on Ranking for Ribston

Post by mcfly »

I'm interested in this too as DD got a RH ranking of 420. Tbf I think nobody can give an exact answer, only probabilities. Here is the 2016 PAN

Pates 75 (assuming 50% of PAN are girls)
HSFG 128
SHS 150
RH 120
Total 473

I'd like to know the reason for the 2015 spike - is it a trend or a one-off?

The ranking limit for each school will only be known in March on allocation. From my knowledge gained mainly from this forum I am somewhat reassured by these facts -

most DC share results with at least 2 schools and up to 4 schools
people move out and into county all the time
many DC use Glos tests as practice for other counties

I personally am only 50/50 about my DD chances but we have a "good" comprehensive to fall back on so actually were quite relaxed about it. We will put RH as top preference on the CAF and see what happens. If I were you I'd also be looking for a good backup option too. Sorry to be giving stark feedback but you never know. Good luck either way.
Last edited by mcfly on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
authormum

Post by authormum »

I was asking a similar question on the results thread earlier, and Tolstoy posted this link, which will give some context if not necessarily any peace of mind!
Good Luck!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 16&t=41517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

The PAN for SHS is 150 for 2016, Ribston is 120 and Denmark Rd 128- Pates has gone up to 150 ( say roughly 75 girls) as well -that should be around 473 places - these are all higher than last year so the rankings should go lower this year and could in theory go as far as the 470's..depending on the number of boys vs girls qualified for Pates....but I think there could be less scope for appeals.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

mcfly - those are the PANs for 2015 not for 2016.

As I understand it all the schools have increased their PAN.

SHS and Pates are both now 150, don't know about the others.

Pates do not reserve 50% of places for girls, as someone said recently on another thread the current year 7 is boy heavy.

I think with the new PANs it is very hard to see how far down in the ranks the schools will go.
I think if I had your score, I would be looking at all the schooling option so that I can put a safe second school down on the CAF after the grammar. That way you have a back up plan.
cazien

Post by cazien »

mcfly - you can also include those who attend private schools (it has been known in the past for parents to use the results as a "bargaining" device to negotiate lower fees).

I believe Pates have ranked 200 this year, out of 1000 who shared results.

We opted for Ribston and SHS. Their emails informed us that Ribston had 792 share for 120 places and SHS 601 share for 150 places.

As DC17C states their are approx 473 places for girls this year compared with approx. 410 last year, so rankings will go lower than previous years.

Everyone will have to keep fingers crossed for the next 4-5 months :twisted:
tabbycat

Post by tabbycat »

My DD is now year 7 at Ribston. We live in Stonehouse so our first choice was SHS. DD was given a ranking of 302 for SHS and 345 for Ribston. On CAF we put SHS first, Ribston second and a local comp third and we had an offer from Ribston in March. Due to the distance to Ribston I was worried about her commuting but now after a month and a half at Ribston, my DD loves it there and it is a great school. I was also worried about her ranking being quite low and may struggle to keep up at a grammer school but she is placed at a top set at Math classes so the ranking for that one test is not everything!!
mcfly

Post by mcfly »

@tabbycat - it just goes to show the rankings and eventual offers dont always follow a simple pattern. Based on your DD rankings I would have thought she had a better chance at SHS. This year maybe its different as SHS has 30 more places than RH and fewer results were shared with SHS than RH - which leads me to conclude that borderline DDs with equal preference for both should put SHS as first preference. Do you have any idea why the ranking limit for RH went down to 459 this year - was there any explanation from RH eventually?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

mcfly wrote:@tabbycat - it just goes to show the rankings and eventual offers dont always follow a simple pattern. Based on your DD rankings I would have thought she had a better chance at SHS. This year maybe its different as SHS has 30 more places than RH and fewer results were shared with SHS than RH - which leads me to conclude that borderline DDs with equal preference for both should put SHS as first preference. Do you have any idea why the ranking limit for RH went down to 459 this year - was there any explanation from RH eventually?

Just to re-itterate do not concern yourself with rank positions when filling in the CAF. Put down the school you prefer first! If you do not get a place there your 2nd choice becomes your first choice without bias! If you wany Ribston put it first if you prefer SHS then put that first :!:
cazien

Post by cazien »

mcfly wrote:@tabbycat - it just goes to show the rankings and eventual offers dont always follow a simple pattern. Based on your DD rankings I would have thought she had a better chance at SHS. This year maybe its different as SHS has 30 more places than RH and fewer results were shared with SHS than RH - which leads me to conclude that borderline DDs with equal preference for both should put SHS as first preference. Do you have any idea why the ranking limit for RH went down to 459 this year - was there any explanation from RH eventually?
I think 459 is a typo from Ribston - probably should be 359?

Looking at postings on here, Ribston went to 379.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now