11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sidcupparent

Alternative schools for Grammar

Post by sidcupparent »

For those who did not pass you may like to consider:

1) blackfen for girls
2) Hurstmere for boys
3) crown woods - if you are band 1

Also don't forget a new school is due to open in Bromley Bulliers Woods for Boys
(Girls school is excellent)

I was going include Harris Academy falcoonwood - if your kid is not too academic ; improving school

for greenwich I hear John roan is vastly improving as well
salsa

Re: Alternative schools for Grammar

Post by salsa »

sidcupparent wrote:For those who did not pass you may like to consider:

1) blackfen for girls
2) Hurstmere for boys
3) crown woods - if you are band 1

Also don't forget a new school is due to open in Bromley Bulliers Woods for Boys
(Girls school is excellent)

I was going include Harris Academy falcoonwood - if your kid is not too academic ; improving school

for greenwich I hear John roan is vastly improving as well
Hi, thanks for this. I am interested in the comment about Harris Academy Falconwood. What do you mean "if your kid is not too academic"? There is also the Harris Academy Greenwich which is outstanding.

Also, there is a new free school opening. The location is still not published, but this could be an option for many. International Academy of Greenwich. They will do the IB.
http://www.iaog.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Also worth looking at Beaverwood, I think it is now called Chislehurst school for girls.

I know it seems to have fallen out of flavour but having said that I know a fair few people who are very happy with the school. The also have a grammar stream for those with level 5s. One of DDs friends has started at Beaverwood last September despite having passed the 11+ because older siblings at the school were doing well and very happy there.

Worth having a look?
sidcupparent

Post by sidcupparent »

Harris Academy like other comprehensives 'cheat' in the league tables.....basically if kid is unlikley to get a GCSE level C they force the student to do a non examination subject - which would count as'equivalent' as GCSE C.

This is good for the school league tables but the child leaves with a useless qualification.

Basically if child goes to comprehensive do everything you can to get into grammar school.

I think in the league tabless Baculartate is better guide then number of A-C's GCSE equivalent.

Ofstead gives any school with a high % of A-Cs GCSEs or equivalent.

Remember it is not the end of the world if you get into comprehensive ......sometimes it suits the child if they are not under pressure
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Having had one child at a comp and one at a grammar the one at the comp was put under far more pressure than the one at the grammar - I think they feel they have more to prove.
sitheshini

Post by sitheshini »

Hi

my daughter failed the selective test but was very close to pass it. I have heard that in previous years Townley recruited children who missed the selective score. Is that true?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I gather Townley haven't for a while, last year they had a distance cut off and I gather the year before they were able to offer to all deemed selective but didn't hear of any who had got in below the threshold, but gather they had offered below the threshold by one or two points the year before that (so a couple of years ago now). If you contact their admissions team I am sure they will be very helpful. Wishing you all the best.
MerlinFromCamelot

They have done so in the past.
I think it will depend year on year depending on the amount of applications they receive. We went to the open day last year and that head said that unallocated places after all applications had been dealt with could be given to those who did not pass. Not sure if these places will be given out on allocation day or if it is closer to the start of the school year.
sitheshini

Post by sitheshini »

Thank you very much for your replies. Will contact Townley admissions.

It is so stressful to find a good comprehensive, this is the first time I am going through with the process.
MerlinFromCamelot

For what it is worth some of DDs friends who have gone to non selective this September are all very happy so far.