Entrance exam fees for Independent Schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zeinab

Entrance exam fees for Independent Schools

Post by zeinab »

We're applying to both Grammar & Independent Schools for my DD. She is eligible for Free School Meals, so obviously I am unable to afford the full administration fees for all the Private schools we're applying to as it will take me well over my month's salary!

So my question is does anyone know, if I send half the administration amount to each school, with evidence of eligibility for FSM enclosed with the application form, will invalidate my application and waste time as the clock is ticking for the deadline ?

Will the schools take my circumstances into account or will they cancel my application because I was unable to pay the full admin entrance exam fee ?

Thanks
Last edited by zeinab on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Catseye

Re: Entrance exam fees for Independent Schools

Post by Catseye »

i have PMed you
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Better check with the schools. Most schools would not ask for registration fees if you are applying for bursary. Are you near to Old Palace school?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Nut sure where you are based but none of the North London indys close their applications until November.

It is very much in their interest to keep applications open until after state school results arrive in Mid October. Some parents who have been told by their school how clever their dc is for years will be very confident of securing a place in a state selective and will be very shocked if they don't. Only then will they consider applying for the indies.

I know of students on 100% busaries at Habs and NLCS but they did still have to pay the fee for sitting the exam. Perhaps it was credited back to them when they were offered a place. I will find out for you. DG
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Have received it Catseye, thank you.

Yes Tiffinsboys, that said school and other local Indie schools nearby, as well as the Grammar, turning to every possible avenue there is.

And Daogroupie, you're correct they close their application in November. But want to sort out, and out of the way before my older boys go back to Uni as they're doing all the paperwork for their little sister. We're also sorting out schools for the Common Entrance Form instead of the mad rush later on.

So 3 down and 1 to go then I'm gonna hit the town and rebel!! :lol:
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

Entrance exam admin fees vary between £40 & £50 per school in my region and no concessions are offered to anybody (including bursary applicants). I can only suggest that you contact the bursars at the individual schools and ask them the question.
pants

Post by pants »

We're applying for bursaries, and of the three independents we've applied for, we've only had to pay for one of the registration fees, and that was £100, which is way above what we can really afford. It's so frustrating as we almost didn't want to apply simply because of the £100, but equally didn't want to miss any opportunities.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now