Late Tests for Grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pants

Late Tests for Grammars

Post by pants »

I've heard that there are late tests for grammar schools, for those who missed registering for the September ones. I've only found any info about this from one schools website. Are there actually late tests? If so, what is the criteria for being able to enter for them? And how does it work, in terms of pushing others further down the waiting list if scoring high?
Thanks
DC17C

Re: Late Tests for Grammars

Post by DC17C »

There always used to be a second test date about a week after the first for any one ill on the first test date. I understand last year there was one held later on in the year for children who moved into the area( there are forces families in the area who get posted in and other families will re locate as well) I believe that the test was after allocation day in March so they could be allocated from the second round and affect waiting lists or they may have to appeal for places.
pants

Post by pants »

Thank you. I knew the one the few weeks after the initial one existed, as we have a friend who did his then, but I'd not heard of the March one.

It makes you wonder about the criteria for the March one, as people might take advantage and just do that one instead?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

They could but they would run the risk of not getting a place at their chosen school.

It is interesting as a couple of years ago there was no mention of DC being prepped for the later tests and gaining advantage, now it seems rife. Tutoring seems to be reaching yet another level :roll:

Much as I hate the restrictions of free movement it causes maybe it is time for the Grammars to stick to one sitting a year and if you miss that then you have to wait for the following in year entry dates. Alternatively all late sittings recieve a different test, I know there is some debate about having enough DC to standardise fairly but with the number of authorities now converting to CEM surely this should be possible.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

I believe the late test is sat in March and if the children score highly enough, they are offered places at reallocation. They could also appeal.

The resit test (for children who are ill on the day) is usually in the week following the test, although this may be a bit later now that results take a month to come out rather than a week.