Enquiry Visits?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SlighlyStressedMum

Enquiry Visits?

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Hi. What exactly are the enquiry visits for? Is it just if you have specific questions or is it more a further info meeting? Should I go?
Stressed.mum

Re: Enquiry Visits?

Post by Stressed.mum »

Good chance to visit the school, to get a feel of the school if not had a chance to do so in the past.

Last year at WHSG, they took us on a brief tour around the school, and gave some useful information during the HT talk about in catchment places.

At Colchs, they took a note of the score, and asked if we understood the guidance sheet, they are unable to say whether a place can be offered or not, because they do not know how many will apply.

I would go, as you never know what info they have for this year...
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

I've literally just come off the phone to colchs who said it's a 5min meeting to run through the guidance sheet. If you understand that then you don't need to go.

Open days will be held after admissions are known
SlighlyStressedMum

Thank you. I've done the school tour already and I understand the guidance. I might not bother then as it's on teacher training day from the kids junior school and as Kegs is parents only I'd need a babysitter!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Proudmumregardless wrote:I've literally just come off the phone to colchs who said it's a 5min meeting to run through the guidance sheet. If you understand that then you don't need to go.

Not really worth taking time off work for, that :shock: . I don't know how that compares with CRGS's meeting two years ago or whether Southend and Westcliff have changed their formula in the meantime, but the ones we went to there in 2013 included a very informative talk, with a chance to ask questions, and tours of the schools. DS2 very nearly changed his preferences after the Westcliff 'revisit', but Southend did win out in the end.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

ToadMum wrote:
Proudmumregardless wrote:I've literally just come off the phone to colchs who said it's a 5min meeting to run through the guidance sheet. If you understand that then you don't need to go.

Not really worth taking time off work for, that :shock: . I don't know how that compares with CRGS's meeting two years ago or whether Southend and Westcliff have changed their formula in the meantime, but the ones we went to there in 2013 included a very informative talk, with a chance to ask questions, and tours of the schools. DS2 very nearly changed his preferences after the Westcliff 'revisit', but Southend did win out in the end.
Yes the southend schools include tours etc and very informative
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

pushymother wrote:
ToadMum wrote:

Yes the southend schools include tours etc and very informative
Its amazing how much it varies round the county.

The woman I spoke to said she's taken to telling people this due to the distances they have to travel. They're still happy to answer any queries though
SlighlyStressedMum

Got this response from Kegs.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The afternoon is designed to help parents in final decision making regarding applications to secondary schools and to discuss 11+ results – it is not for further general information about the school.

So no need to attend unless you wish to discuss your application. Hth.
local_lass

Post by local_lass »

Speaking from prior experience of both Chelmsford CHS and KEGS, it is probably not worth taking time off work to attend the visits at those schools this time around. They do not include a tour of the school and are for parents not children and of course they cannot provide you with any further insight into whether a child with a particular score will get in than is given by the colour-coded scores sheet. KEGS last year was interesting as the head was encouraging people with scores below the previous lowest admitted score to apply (but this was simply because at that time he undoubtedly knew that KEGS would be admitting an extra form - 30 boys - in September 2015). Nothing similar would be expected at KEGS or Chelmsford CHS this time around.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now